Paramedic Field Internship :(

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
Hey man, Im on your same boat, well somewhat, I just started my EMT B class last week and im crapping my pants. I start riding in about 2 weeks and have no clue what to expect.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. ;)
Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast. Slow is fast.

As stated earlier, the biggest thing to remember is that BLS calls and ALS calls are all in one continuum. You have the what knowledge now... BLS calls are ALS calls... they only differ in what you need to do. Most patients will only need a little TLC, hand-holding (literal or figurative) and a ride. You'll still assess their problem and your findings will drive you towards what needs doing. Some patients need a bit more... Some patients will present to you while they're having their "Oh Crap!" moment and your assessment will show you that you're going to need to throw everything at them (including the proverbial kitchen sink) just to give them a chance...

But it's all on the same continuum.

Also, one reason why I (and others) suggest 6 months to a year time as a working Basic is that it helps get the basic ambulance mechanical stuff out of the way and get you to the point where you don't have to think as much about the mechanics of doing an assessment... you just do it. If that makes any sense. And I also agree with an above poster in that since you have minimal time as a Basic prior to this point, it'll take a little while longer for you to find your own rhythm. It's kind of like music that way... You try out different styles and then you'll find your own groove. When you do, your preceptors will see it. You might not see it at first. They will...

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
Update: I'm starting to feel a LOT more comfortable in the back of the rig. Flowing through my assessment while hooking patients up on basic monitor, spo2, o2, all that good stuff. I'm getting the feel of turn over reports. Getting 2's out of 3's from my preceptor so i'm making progress thats for sure. I'm not sure if i'm 2 hard on myself and shouldn't beat myself up at the end of the day which i always do after a eval report with him. During the day my confidence grows while going on calls but by the end of the day i just beat myself down cause of the eval. By this sunday i'm at 120hrs ^_^

Oiball

Forum Probie
Hey man, Im on your same boat, well somewhat, I just started my EMT B class last week and im crapping my pants. I start riding in about 2 weeks and have no clue what to expect.

Whereabouts in Florida are you? I'm a recent Sunshine State EMT-B myself.