Paramedic Class and Books.

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
Hey guys can anyone turn me on to some good textbooks for Paramedic education. I hope to be starting classes next fall, but I would like to get some studying in ahead of time, (I am working full time so if I can get a headstart on studying that would help, come Fall). I know textbooks and materials are always changing but is there a good "foundation" textbook you would recommend.
Thanks

TXmed

Forum Captain
Emergency pathophysiology by samual galvagno.

It may be a little complex for someone before going to medic school. But I'm a big supporter of anything that teaches from an A&P perspective.

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
Agreed. Unless you are attending a degree program you will likely get a "crash course" on A&P which is absurdly inadequate. If you can get a decent understanding of A&P , pathophysiology and pharmacology under your belt you will be way ahead of the game. I will have to look at home for specific recommendations but I tend to buy used medical textbooks that are a few years old. This is a cheap option and the quality of the material is better than books made for Paramedic students.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Take A and P classes. Self studying from a paramedic textbook is not going to be particularly useful. Aside from that, I learned all of our medications over the summer before class started, which has been rather helpful. I might not have known how a sodium channel blocker worked when I learned them, but for rote memory tests it's helpful to have a foundation.

TXmed

Forum Captain
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by dale dubin is a real great book also

this book will teach any body how to interpret ECG and its a super easy read. It took me like a week, and I keep it around as a quick reference also.

OP
OP
Jondruby

Jondruby

The PLS of BLS.
What I have decided and what we can do around my area through our school is, take an Associates in Nursing (2 year course) then take an online course to get my Bachelors in Nursing (+1 year) after that I plan on taking the Med/Fire Rescue class and getting my Paramedic and Firefighter. (+2 1/2 years). I do not necessarily need the Paramedic after I become a Nurse since I am young (21) the education is always valuable, and since I have no family to support I can, plus my real passion is ambulance/medic work, just wanted to have the RN as a Fallback and the experience to help me be a better medic and nurse.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
Rapid Interpretation of EKG's by dale dubin is a real great book also

this book will teach any body how to interpret ECG and its a super easy read. It took me like a week, and I keep it around as a quick reference also.

^^^ That may be the best and only book you need purchase for ECG foundations.

I would start there and then do as Tigger suggested and get to work on the meds.