Paramedic 7 days & counting

musashi

Forum Probie
I'll be starting a paramedic program next Saturday July 5th, and I've been out of basic school for about a year. Any reccomendations on reviewing anythging before class? I can't wait to start, and the program I'm attending here in south texas, is run by an EMS genius who is well known in the state. It's pretty cool because 45% of the didactic is online at your own pace. I'm really nervous about being able to obtain proper b/p, starting lines, ekg interpretation, and intubations. This seems like such an awesome responsibility and I hope do everything right.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Ok, you have A&P right? i would check into and review some EKG basic rythyms so that you wont be "behind the curve".

BEorP

Forum Captain
Do you have a link to the program?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Make sure you review all the basic stuff.

I've played patient for a paramedic class on several occasions. It always astounded me how how many of the students were comfortable in intubation and their drugs, but could not package a patient or complete an assessment for their life.

I played patient for the long spine board station for their mock practical. Two of the students placed the straps under my armpits rather than over my shoulders and one of them placed the board upside down and couldn't figure out why the straps were all weird.

So, although I am not a paramedic or anything near it, I would recommend making sure that you don't get so caught up in the fancy new stuff you're learning how to do that you forget how to do the basics.

Hastings

Noobie
Agree with the guy above me.

While I'm sure the intentions were good, do NOT listen to any advice that tells you to go over EKG strips or any other advanced skill. What you need going into Paramedic school is nothing more than great basic skills. If you have great basic skills, the rest comes easy.

Review your basic skills. Nothing more.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Agree with the guy above me.

While I'm sure the intentions were good, do NOT listen to any advice that tells you to go over EKG strips or any other advanced skill. What you need going into Paramedic school is nothing more than great basic skills. If you have great basic skills, the rest comes easy.

Review your basic skills. Nothing more.
Remeber Hastings it does depend on the area or if the program is accelerated or not. some areas or instructors for that matter skip or graze over some areas thinking that the students know it already due to the fact that most of his/her students were EMT-I or have been working in healthcare for a while since getting their Basic. I doesn't hurt to be prepared for something that is going to take a while to learn and understand.

Hastings

Noobie
Remeber Hastings it does depend on the area or if the program is accelerated or not. some areas or instructors for that matter skip or graze over some areas thinking that the students know it already due to the fact that most of his/her students were EMT-I or have been working in healthcare for a while since getting their Basic. I doesn't hurt to be prepared for something that is going to take a while to learn and understand.

Yes, you're right. They DO skip over areas that they think students know already.

Namely, the basics.

Know the basics, and you will actually be ahead of the class. There is no program accepting Basics that is going to start at an EMT-I level. You come knowing your basics, and they'll teach you the advanced skills.

Again, no program that is Basic->Paramedic is going to start at a higher level simply because there are students in there that may be at a higher level than the Basics.