Paid vs Volunteer Misconceptions

Rescue1EMT

Forum Ride Along
In the city that I live in (population around 27,000), we have 2 EMS agencies: the rescue squad which is all volunteer and the Fire/EMS department which is all paid. At the rescue squad we staff our station every night from 6p - 6a and on the weekends. Lucky, we get the first chance on calls and then it goes to the fire dept.

citizencain20

Forum Probie
Well, just my 2 cents, But I completly understand this misconception. In our area it is only intesified by the Paid service. Around here, those who wish to become EMT's will have their training paid for up to the level of EMT-B. The Paid service is at the level of EMT-I99, going to Paramedic shortly. Because of the costs, those who run with the volunteer services choose not to get that further training, or if they do its at a much delayed and slower pace than the paid service. And when you compare the paid service getting 5-10 calls per day and the volunteer services getting only 2-3 a week there is a serious expirience difference. I being a volunteer would not be upset reliquishing a patient to the Paid service because I know they have more expirience than I do. Just my $.02~

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
I think ffemt8978 did a fine job - keep informing the public of misconceptions.

I always considered a firefighter/EMT or paramedic regardless of the paid or volunteer status a FF/EMT or paramedic.

I have to disagree with you here rescuelt.
I think volunteers are BETTER than paid - they have no reason to be there other than they really want to help. They have bad days and still return BECAUSE THEY WANT TO, not because they need to in order to pay the rent.
I have been a "paid" structural & aircraft rescue FF/Paramedic for a little over 6 years now. I am available to help people 72 hours a week and do so because I want to be there. Yes, it is my job, I do get paid for it and I'm pretty darn lucky I have a job that I love. I don't think the "paid" status has any relationship with being better or worse than a vollie or not caring for my pts as much. If I didn't want to be there, I'd quit.
Sorry, this just rubbed me the wrong way - a FF/medic is a FF/medic - paid or vollie. How can we educate the public if we are being divided among ourselves?
That's just my .02
Thanks! :)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I didn't quite mean it in the way you took it, although now that I see your side it is hard to explain my side adequately. I guess it just came from the fact that I have paid friends and I did my CC intern with the paid staff at SUNY Stony Brook - my good friend works for them - after bedding down with them for a while I saw how jaded they were and how most of them were only there to pay the rent - the magic of helping people had worn off and now they were there because they had to be until they figured out something better.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
No problem :D I understand what you are saying.
Unfortunately, you had an experience with jaded people. I think there are those in every profession, but in this profession - if a person is like that then (s)he needs to get out. Hopefully, those people found something they can be happier doing.
Hey, I graduated from SUNY SB!
thanks for explaining ;)