PAD/CPR at vacation resort

FF894

Forum Captain
Alright I need some others opinions because I am not having any luck with this, they think I am from Mars or something. Basically, this past summer I stayed at vacation resort in Myrtle Beach. I won't say which one, but it's a decent sized one. While I was there, I happened to notice that there were no PAD (Public Access Defibrillators) anywhere on the resort. Around the third day I was there a gentleman had an MI. Nothing too impressive (to me anyways, run of the mill) chest pain 7/10 diff breathing, once the medics got there STE, etc. etc. So then I got to thinking about the lack of Defibs again. What if this guy went into arrest? The paramedics did a great job and got there in a respectable 8 minutes or so, but still... So, getting to it- the next day I asked the security guard at the private pool where the defib was. She had no idea what one was. I asked when the last time she was trained in CPR - about 2 years ago. Do you remember how? Not a clue. Asked the security guard at the front door (different company) the same- he's heard of a defib but never seen one in real life. Asked the manager of the small water park- same thing. Asked the manager of the hotel-dont know if we have one or not. Holy S**t!? Went to the main building and talked to the manager on duty. I asked very nicely about any defibs in any of the buildings and if the staff was trained in CPR. She took an attitude like she was offended I would dare ask these questions. She said that there was one defib behind the managers counter and the manager on duty would respond to any emergency. Now, mind you the entire resort must be 2 square miles and they operate at nearly 100% capacity year round. She would not give me exact figures but I would guess at least 5,000 people on the conservative side on the resort and more on beaches. So, am I crazy to think that it is absolutely absurd to not have all staff trained in CPR and PAD every 100 feet? Oh yeah-half the population is over 60 years old. Theres more, but this is getting a little long..

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Stupid but understandable at the hotel portion... but no CPR training/defib at the pool portion? Just idiotic right there.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
not all countries are as well equipped as seattle.

i dont worry about it at all. i dont go on vacation to deal with emergency medicine. quite the opposite.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I think its more common than any of us know my sister is a medic and just recently gotten a job as an instructor of the health occupation class for a local high school (county/city work local critical care transport) anyway she's going around trying to make sure everything like it should be and asks about the schools AED come to find out they had to go threw 6 people to find out if they even had one (they do) seems that the coaches were keeping it so if something happened to one of the football players when she asked to see it they had to call 2 more ppl to find out where it was walk across the street to the stadium call the head coach over to unlock the room where they kept it, dig it out from under the pads and equipment dust it off try to turn it on for a check and nothing... "how long has it been since it was charged?" "we have to charge it??":eek::blink:. needless to say my sister was perturbed about the whole thing and then they want to argue over who needs it and where it should be kept.

all i could say was wow

wow

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I thought all schools were required to have an AED? Or am I making things up in my head?

At my college campus, every single building has an AED... guess that's a byproduct of having the EMS director there :p

VentMedic

Forum Chief
At my college campus, every single building has an AED... guess that's a byproduct of having the EMS director there :p

Texas (from the link I listed in previous post)

FY 04 budget requires the Department of Health to allocate for the purchase and placement of AEDs in state-owned and leased buildings. "The department shall establish criteria to identify up to 100 key locations for placement" by December 31, 2003. (Signed 6/22/03)

Requires that a person or entity that acquires an automated external defibrillator that has not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for over-the-counter sales shall ensure that it has been delivered to the person or entity by a licensed practitioner in the course of their professional practice or upon a prescription or other order lawfully issued in the course of professional practice, or if the equipment is for sale or lease, the person or entity meet certain requirements. Signed 5/8/07

traumateam1

Forum Asst. Chief
You gotta remember a lot of people couldn't care all that much about spending thousands on equipment to save peoples lives.. unfortunately it seems to be a low priority for a lot of businesses like that. "What are the chances we will need to use this thing anyways.. lets just call the ambulance driver people."

Until it becomes a law, and is enforced, I cannot see big businesses like that having AEDs plastered all over the walls. Not having one in the pool, and not having a well trained CPR provider in or around the pool is just stupid.

Like Vent said, unless it is state owned or leased, fat chance businesses will spend thousands on AEDs, in which may only get used once every few years. The world doesn't see it from our perspective, with all the first had experience, and all the studies and data. They just see it as another expense. Sadly.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
More common than you might think

This is probably more common than you might think. Look at the bottom line, it is a large expense with little chance of a measurable monetary return.

I work at a small resort that did not have an AED for a long time. I should mention we are sort of remote and that response time for a Basic unit is at least 25 minutes, air ALS response is 30-35 minutes.

Our volunteer group raised the money and bought an AED. We maintained and trained on it. The first time it was used, I think the resort managers realized the importance of having an AED on-site. We did not have a save the first time it was used. The second time was sucessful.

We currently have multiple AED locations and the VP/general manager encourages people to get trained on them. :)

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Like Vent said, unless it is state owned or leased, fat chance businesses will spend thousands on AEDs, in which may only get used once every few years. The world doesn't see it from our perspective, with all the first had experience, and all the studies and data. They just see it as another expense. Sadly.

The same can be said about EMS and its issues.

OP
OP
FF894

FF894

Forum Captain
I can't help but to think about this stuff, even when on vacation. I also was joined later by several family members that although as healthy as can be are still in the high risk catagory.

I understand the monetary concerns. Heck, to properly equip this place we are talking half a million dollars. What amazed me more than anything is the fact that several people I talked to did not even know what a defib was. The majority of the people who did know what one was had no idea if there was one, and hadn't received CPR training in some time.

I guess I am just glad I live in an area where there are PADs everywhere and althought its still not even close to acceptable levels, we are constantly working to improve the public being trained in CPR, let alone employees that should be-security guards, high-volume attendance employees, etc.