Oxygen Cylinders

ralph65

Forum Ride Along
I got this question wrong on the practical and nee to know what the answer is. What are the markings on the Oxygen Cylinder in the blue painted part on top. ie. (2 [then a symbol] 02+* ), i have looked everywhaere to try to find out what this means, i can't seem to find the answer even in the book. i think it has something to do with the expiration date but i'm not sure. thanks for any help.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
Perhaps I'm not understanding your question, but 'round here, our cylinders are green...............................

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
First, welcome to EMTLife!

That is the date that the tank has been hydro tested. An aluminum tank must be hyrdo tested every five years, while a steel one requires testing every ten years.

Usually the last hydrostatic test date is stamped into the top part of the tank.

I hope that helps!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I know that SCUBA tanks (and O2 tanks) are highly regulated by the US DOT as hazardous materials. Some of the numbers printed on the top refer to the manufacturer, materials, dates of manufacture, transport requirements, acceptable substances for the tank, hydro dates, visual exam dates and safe fill pressures.
I will try to find a key to all of it, but for the most part, it is not meant to be read by many people.
Green, in general is used as a marking for O2 safe appliances (regulators, tubing, lubricants, etc.)