over 40 EMT or Paramedic?

ladyMj

Forum Ride Along
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to see how many people started their EMS career after they turned 40?

Thanks,

Mj

GoTowardsTheLight

Forum Probie
I can think of a dozen people ay my agency! There were a few in classes I taught. Some men and women well into their 50s or early 60s. We all know age is just a number.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
we have a guy at my former job is a paramedic, and on his third career. he just turned 76, and got his paramedic certificate less than 7 years ago

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Started - no. I started in Emergency Medicine at 17, continued it on in the military as a Hospital Corpsman (Independent Duty).

However, I got out and pursued a career in law enforcement, retired from there and now, I've gone back to EMT-B school and now paramedic school in my 50's (I'm 52, will be 53 when I graduate from medic school).

Age is just a number, a person from my "volunteer squad" just "unvolunteered" at the age of 77.

Simusid

Forum Captain
I was 46 when I started my basic class. I'm 49 now. I absolutely love it and wish I had started a decade earlier. In fact if I had started in my 20's I guarantee I would be a Doctor now.

I do feel too old to go for the medic though but that is mainly due to my time commitment. I volunteer once per week and that is just not enough run time. I've done about 100 calls in 2 years :(

OP
OP
ladyMj

ladyMj

Forum Ride Along
Great!

So great to hear these comments! It just seem liked everyone I met go into EMS early in their life. I really want to do this. I just called a program today and asked if my LPN experience would count, so I could go right into medic school. I will keep you all updated. ;)

phideux

Forum Captain
I got my Medic the week before my 50th B-Day.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I completed my EMT and graduated the USFS Wildland fire academy, and I did that at 50 years old. Never to late.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
One of my supervisors is 79 years old and he is better at this job than most 30 year old EMTs/Medics I have run across. This guy stays in crazy good shape though. In addition to being a field operational supervisor, he works out like 5 days a week, runs every local triathlon, fun run, 10 K, you name it. He rides the STP every year and also rides like 200-300 miles a week. In the winter he is a ski patroller too.

So I am sure he would tell anyone that 40 is not too old at all!

Just stay in shape and you'll be fine for a much longer time.

Sent from a small, handheld electronic device that somehow manages to consume vast amounts of my time. Also know as a smart phone.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
I am 43, and I will chime in with what I have discovered as a 40+ year old FF/EMT....

For me, I have to work at things I would not have needed to work at 20 years ago... I have to diet and excersize because if I allow the normal eating habits of EMS combine with the normal metobolic changes of a 40+ year old man I will die before I am 50.

I see it. I see young people who do this full time put on weight right before my eyes. It is sad.

Also, to pass my FF1/FF2 class and even the yearly physical I needed to work harder than people half my age.

But... that being said I think the above 40 crowd just entering into EMS can have a lot to offer if we remember what it was like to be young and learning something new. When I work beside a 25 year old MEDIC who has been doing this for five years I treat them with a great deal of respect and let them know I am the learner.

Shooter

Forum Probie
Mj,

Thank you for starting this thread. I am 48 and will be attending EMT-B class this semester as well as taking Anatomy/Physiology. For some time I have been doubting myself wondering if I was too old and too out of shape to do this, but I have been getting in real good shape (thanks to my two sons) and I am looking forward to the challenge. :)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
I walked in to PCP class two days after my 43rd birthday. Five years later I went to ACP school. Best job I ever had, and I've had a few.

mtbee

Forum Ride Along
Took my EMT-B at 52, followed with the IV and ECG classes. Continued by taking a class each semester I can: A&P, microbiology, cell biology. Being a volunteer FF/EMT in the mountain community I live in has been one of the most rewarding and wonderful experiences of my life.