Outdoor Center First Responder

patput

Forum Crew Member
I've read through a few similar threads, but haven't found the exact situation.

I currently work at an outdoor center (ropes course, zip lines, etc) as a supervisor. They currently employ EMTs and a medic as first responders. They approached me about a first responder position once I get my certification, but I had a question first.

They have no medical director and no connections to any agency. As far as I know in New York this would only allow a person to do what a lay person could do. Now obviously 911 would be called for any real incident, but we are quite a way out from the closest resources so the first responder would be with the patient alone for quite some time. You wouldn't be able to do any BLS interventions, since their isn't any medical direction, and if you were to do anything you'd be screwed, correct?

The park should get in contact with NYS DOH and try to get certified as a BLS-FR agency, get a medical director, and all would be peachy correct?

I'm not trying to ask for legal advice, so please don't lock this thread, I'm just trying to make sure I correctly understand the situation.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
I think you are probably ok. Think about it...Realistically what kind of treatments would you be doing should the need arise? More than likely it would be First aid, CPR, AED, and splinting all of which a normal lay person can do on their own with no medical director. Its not like you will be giving any meds, starting a line or using any advanced airways in that kind of setting

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Could probably do O2, as well. The medic wouldn't really be able to do anything ALS, though, without a medical director, no?

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
I think you are probably ok. Think about it...Realistically what kind of treatments would you be doing should the need arise? More than likely it would be First aid, CPR, AED, and splinting all of which a normal lay person can do on their own with no medical director. Its not like you will be giving any meds, starting a line or using any advanced airways in that kind of setting

+1, very few BLS skills truly require medical direction. Usually only the skills that involve medications (Charcoal, OTC meds, etc) require medical direction...even then, lay rescuers are taught to give ASA in chest pain cases. I think your days will be spent doing basic bleeding control/bandaging and the occasional splint thrown in for flavor. I cannot really forsee the need for using a skill that may need medical direction.

What is the EMS response time to your location.? Is it fairly urban or is it more remote? In a remote environment, it may actually be beneficial to have a medical director so you can better manage the delayed EMS response times.

Could probably do O2, as well. The medic wouldn't really be able to do anything ALS, though, without a medical director, no?
The medic would most definitely not be able to do any ALS skills without direction. IVs, Advanced Airways, and any meds are out the door without direction. Essentially the Medic is limited to the same skills as the EMTs.

O2 is a bit of a grey area...considering it is a "prescription drug" :rolleyes:...although I do believe you can purchase emergency O2 kits with fixed flow rate regulators (Usually 6lpm or 12lpm) from medical suppliers without a physician's orders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
If you do this you want to make sure you have insurance coverage to cya.