Out-of-State Training

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Hopefully this hasn't been covered in another thread - my search-fu may be weak. But here it goes...

I live in New Jersey, and am interested in taking an EMT course. Most EMT courses are at night, and the closest one to where I work is about 15 minutes away - across the bridge in Pennsylvania.

NJ has reciprocity with PA, as far as I can tell, and other than going through the extra step of filling out the (rather simple, it seems) reciprocity app, is there anything that would make it a Very Bad Idea (tm) to take my EMT-B course in PA, rather than NJ?

The major upside is that it's a lot closer than taking a class near home, and it starts sooner. It also might limit early exposure to NJ's third-world EMS system, or at least delay onset for a few months.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Take the PA EMT class. It will probably be better than taking one in NJ anyway. NJ allows PA EMTs to work in NJ. Only problem is you have to recert in PA.

OP
OP
E

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Take the PA EMT class. It will probably be better than taking one in NJ anyway. NJ allows PA EMTs to work in NJ. Only problem is you have to recert in PA.

Hrm. That's interesting - do you mean that you have to apply for NJ EMT-B certification through reciprocity, or you can work in NJ without the need for any formal paperwork?

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I work in Jersey part time with my NY state card. I do not have a NJ card. I believe the same applies for PA.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
NJ allows anyone with an EMT card from any of the "Mid-Atlantic EMS Council" member states.... NY, PA, and a few others. If you have one of their cards, you can function as an EMT in NJ.

It really depends where you are going to be working / volunteering. Some places require you to have a NJ card to be there.

To get a NJ card, you need to take the "Core 13" class and pass their exams.

Jon