Other names for ER Tech?

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Whenever I search hospitals websites, I never see an ER Tech position. I remember someone on here was saying how they usually have different names for them. Does anyone know any of the different names in San Diego?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
patient care assistant
patient care technician
nursing assistant
clinical assistant

etc. your best bet is to look at all the jobs the hospital has available. you can limit this list to just the open positions in the er ir your only wiling to work in that dept. then, as your scanning through the list eliminating the jobs you obviously aren't qualified for, click on any one that you don't immediately recognize and read the description. once you've figured out what that hospital calls the job, it will make your future searching easier.

Emtint08

Forum Crew Member
nt position

Whenever I search hospitals websites, I never see an ER Tech position. I remember someone on here was saying how they usually have different names for them. Does anyone know any of the different names in San Diego?

Try Nurse Technician. Sometimes they have different levels, IE 1,2, 3.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
maybe so, but doing nurses scut work(lines, labs, ekg's, dressings etc) maybe be boring to nurses and medics, its pretty interesting stuff for someone used to the renal roundup.....

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
maybe so, but doing nurses scut work(lines, labs, ekg's, dressings etc) maybe be boring to nurses and medics, its pretty interesting stuff for someone used to the renal roundup.....

Very true. Thats why I applied at hospitals to get some experience that wasn't doing the granny shuffle until I turn 21 (old enough to work 911)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Multi-skills Tech

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Is Health Care Partner - HCP one? It seems like there is no requirements really. Preferred though.

High School diploma or equivalent required.
CNA preferred.
EKG trained preferred.
Computer skills required.
Medical terminology preferred.
Experience in ER and/or acute care preferred.
Team player, communication/customer service skills required.
Current CPR certification required.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
'Gopher', 'Hey You' and 'Not a Nurse'

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
Scutt Puppy,
:censored::censored::censored::censored: Magnet,
Vomit Comet,
Suction!!!!

The list goes on...

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Hey, gotta start somewhere. Im thinking about heading towards this at least part time because its a lot more money here.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Scutt Puppy,
:censored::censored::censored::censored: Magnet,
Vomit Comet,
Suction!!!!

The list goes on...

The only people that appear to be calling ER Techs these names are other EMTs or Paramedics. Other professionals that actually work with these healthcare providers do not think of their team members with such disrespect.

Could it be some of these individuals did not get hired when they applied to the ER?

quote by jtpaintball70
Very true. Thats why I applied at hospitals to get some experience that wasn't doing the granny shuffle until I turn 21 (old enough to work 911)

Another fine example of where the thought process is for some individuals entering EMS. That's even sadder than becoming a Paramedic to be a FF. Granny shuffle? Work 911? Gee, what's that patient care stuff?

Last edited by a moderator:

EMERG2011

Forum Crew Member
The only people that appear to be calling ER Techs these names are other EMTs or Paramedics. Other professionals that actually work with these healthcare providers do not think of their team members with such disrespect.

Could it be some of these individuals did not get hired when they applied to the ER?

quote by jtpaintball70

Another fine example of where the thought process is for some individuals entering EMS. That's even sadder than becoming a Paramedic to be a FF. Granny shuffle? Work 911? Gee, what's that patient care stuff?

Hey hey hey dude, simmer! I'm in training to be an ED tech here in DC, and I was just chiming in with the one's I've heard. Honestly? I myself seem to be a s*** magnet and a vomet comet on duty (and learned the hard way that the combitube might not always be isolating the esophagus ;) ). Not attacking, just laughing along with the crew.

EDIT: Just also wanted to mention - being an ED tech is a GREAT way to get some hands-on experience, especially if you want to go on to something like med or nursing school.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
quote by jtpaintball70

No humor in this thread? /funny

And I'm quite happy to work where I am. Interfacility means I see more medical calls in a week than a 911 service does in a long time. And I've seen some patients progress in symptoms or get better (very nice to see, I love it when my patients are discharged from a rehab hospital to home), so I get to see the entire disease process. I would just like to work 911 full time for 3 years in a high call volume area to get my FC-P and then go back to interfacility with part time flight duties. I would be perfectly happy to stay with interfacility for the majority of my career, but flight services will not accept time with a transport service, even one that runs CCT trucks (which I will be getting with my company once I get my medic cert and spend some more time in the field)

The thought process behind working inside an ED is to keep my skills practiced. EDs here will hire EMTs for ER Tech/PCT positions and you will do more INT starts in one shift than my company does in a month.

Besides which, I want to learn how an ED works from the inside. After I get my NREMT-P, I plan on going on for my BSN here at UNM.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Good deal! Press on!!

Some workplaces abuse classes of workers and some don't. I think the doc and the RN's make the atmosphere there.
I actually failed my double length probation in an ER, and part of it was that I did not grasp the field despite years of actually doing civilian field EMT and fire/emt stuff. Working there will be worth two semesters ER class in school.

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
Hey, gotta start somewhere. Im thinking about heading towards this at least part time because its a lot more money here.

What are your long term goals? Do you want to stay in EMS? Or are you thinking about something else- pre-med, nursing, etc?

Personally I want to go into emergency nursing, and I think being a Tech is a great place to start. I work at a hospital in food service and hope to transfer over, its just a matter of convincing HR to choose me over, say, a medic with 8 years experience (true story). Honestly, the recruiter said he wouldn't even give me an interview because "it would be pointless". That just ticks me off because experience, though important, isn't everything.

With that being said, you'll have a real tough time getting in as a tech without any EMS experience. But if you're lucky enough to know someone or happen to get in somehow, then a tech is an awesome job to have. Here, the techs hook up the monitors, assist with setting up for procedures, do blood draws, insert foley catheters, and do compressions for codes among other things. It's a great place to ask nurses about stuff- nursing school, medical questions, etc. Oh, and it does pay great too :)

Good luck!
Jeremy

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Hmm most of the ERTs I know have a sense of humor. And while I didn't apply for the position, I did help write the job description for it when the local hospital decided to add it as a job classification.

I do admit that my position is colored a bit by one particular ERT who uses her title as a club. She was removed from practice in our district for not showing up to drills (she already knew it all) not going on calls (she'd radio in and ask if you needed her.. um.. tones means yes) but there are people who have argued with me that her training and knowledge is more than a nurse, highly technical and extremely specialized. This because she worked as an EMT for 6 months in CA 20 years ago. She has a reputation of asking all the EMT-Ps for odd information that no other person in the ED cares about. ie.. working a trauma code and coming in lights and sirens and she wants to know what the blood sugar is, or did you put the pt in a gown yet. or bringing in a pt actively seizing on the gurney and she wants you to tell her what is on the report in her hand.

But she is definitely the exception with the rest of them doing their job well and being an asset to the team.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Hmm most of the ERTs I know have a sense of humor. And while I didn't apply for the position, I did help write the job description for it when the local hospital decided to add it as a job classification.

Sense of humor is one thing but when you work as a team in a hospital, you do not call each other demeaning names.

How many threads have we had on this forum about someone being called an ambulance driver? How many took that to be extremely offensive even if they were driving the ambulance when someone referred to them?

I don't quite know what point you were trying to make with your example. There are EMTs and Paramedics on this forum who believe they know another healthcare professional's job better than that professional also. We've had countless threads bashing CNAs, nurses, doctors and patients on the EMS forums. One EMS forum even had a separate category just for bashing. It is a great read for any member of the non-EMS community or public to find. :rolleyes: