orthostatic vitals

Mloper

Forum Probie
My partner and I got into a disagreement today about orthostatic vitals. We both agreed on the amount that they can change however he told me that after you have the pt. stand up from sitting down and they DO NOT feel dizzy. That would automatically make them negative for orthostatic vitals. I told him he is just being really lazy and that he still needs to take another BP on the pt after they have stood up. Who is right?

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
My partner and I got into a disagreement today about orthostatic vitals. We both agreed on the amount that they can change however he told me that after you have the pt. stand up from sitting down and they DO NOT feel dizzy. That would automatically make them negative for orthostatic vitals. I told him he is just being really lazy and that he still needs to take another BP on the pt after they have stood up. Who is right?

He's being lazy. Dizzyness may be a sypmtom of orthostatic hypotension related to problems such as POTS or PAF, however if you are actually testing for orthostasis, then it is defined as a drop in systolic BP of 20mmHg or more within 3 minutes after standing.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
To test for orthostatics, you should check pulse and BP with your patient supine, then have the pt sit or stand, wait a few minutes, and check again.

I don't think going from sitting to standing qualifies; legs are dependent in both cases.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
To test for orthostatics, you should check pulse and BP with your patient supine, then have the pt sit or stand, wait a few minutes, and check again.

I don't think going from sitting to standing qualifies; legs are dependent in both cases.
It does work but you might see a smaller change than if the starting position was supine. However, Orthostatic Vitals can be taken in supine, sitting, and standing positions... Remember, you're looking for a pulse rate increase of 20 bpm above baseline and/or a drop in SBP of 20 points.