Orlando Fire is hiring for EMS-only

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
12 hour shifts? Peak truck type gig? And how do the benefits compare to the sworn FFs? Or are the single role people treated as the red-headed ******* step children that a lot of places that go this route do?

OP
OP
U

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes, all 12 hour shifts. We currently have trucks starting at 0700, 0800, 0900, 1100, and 1500. It's intended to a peak truck system, but we still usually aren't all that busy (I average 4-5 transports in 12 hours, with short transport times). The benefits are awesome by EMS standards (they list the retirement stuff on the job app), but we don't get the amazing pension that the sworn guys do. We have the same awesome health insurance, etc as the sworn guys.
We don't have a union yet, but that's in the works. We actually get treated well by admin and most of the guys, who appreciate that we're taking much of the transport load off them (during the day, mainly). We were honestly expecting much worse, as their union is officially disgruntled about our existence. Right now, we're on a "system status" sort of setup, except we get sent to whatever station dispatch sees fit (rather than a street corner). Once in the station, we can hang out and do pretty much anything but sleep (we aren't assigned bunks). We eat dinner with them if we happen to be at a station at dinner time. Oh, and there is no requirement imposed on us to become FF's, but we've been told that the opportunity is there in the future if we can pass their regular hiring test process (minus all the stuff we already did).

Last edited:

GCSEVM456

Forum Ride Along
I currently work for American Ambulance in Orlando as an EMT (~ 6 months experience so far and love it), thanks for the opportunity to ask questions!

What is the testing process like for EMTs - is there a written and practical portion and/or physical abilities test and how long did the overall hiring process take? Is the schedule like fire w/ shifts every three days or do you pick your availability (full vs. part time?) for your 12 hour shifts?

You mentioned the "system status" setup - does this mean you work with a different crew of FFs every shift - does this (in your opinion) cause any tension?

Might have more questions - thanks again!

OP
OP
U

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I currently work for American Ambulance in Orlando as an EMT (~ 6 months experience so far and love it), thanks for the opportunity to ask questions!

What is the testing process like for EMTs - is there a written and practical portion and/or physical abilities test and how long did the overall hiring process take? Is the schedule like fire w/ shifts every three days or do you pick your availability (full vs. part time?) for your 12 hour shifts?

You mentioned the "system status" setup - does this mean you work with a different crew of FFs every shift - does this (in your opinion) cause any tension?

Might have more questions - thanks again!

I don't want to go into too much detail about the hiring process (they're kind of secretive about it, so I don't want to throw it all out there without permission), but I will say that it is psychologically gruelling. And there is a polygraph or two. I basically felt like I was applying for the FBI.
Hiring took about 6 weeks, if I recall. Then (paid) orientation was 8 weeks for us, but it has been shortened now.

The schedule is 6 12-hour shifts per pay period (2 weeks), usually with 3 days on one week and a different 3 days the next. And you just alternate between "A" week and "B" week. As of now, there is plenty of OT available.
You don't get to pick your schedule, but they try to accommodate your shift time preference and shifts swaps are easy.
I've met nearly every crew in the city (about 600 FF's). It doesn't cause friction, so long as you follow basic social and work etiquette.