Orange County 911 companies. CARE, McCormick, or Doctor's?

gnarkillsucks

Forum Ride Along
I just got hired with Care in Orange, CA, and I still have interviews with Doctor's in Laguna Hills and McCormick in Hawthorne and I'm optimistically expecting to get offers with them as well seeing as I've passed all the tests so far to get me to their final interviews. Does anyone on here with experience have an opinion as to which company might be the best experience for me? I plan to enter the fire department eventually and would like to build up as much professional 911 experience as possible.

Thanks

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Just stick with Care. All 911 will be BLS, and your experience will be limited to that. Do your time, and move on. Care (as well as the others) have a full understanding that 100% of their applicants have full intentions of leaving, before they even get hired.

wtferick

Forum Captain
I just got hired with Care in Orange, CA, and I still have interviews with Doctor's in Laguna Hills and McCormick in Hawthorne and I'm optimistically expecting to get offers with them as well seeing as I've passed all the tests so far to get me to their final interviews. Does anyone on here with experience have an opinion as to which company might be the best experience for me? I plan to enter the fire department eventually and would like to build up as much professional 911 experience as possible.

Thanks
Just stay. No reason to leave to smaller bls companies.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Doctors only has Laguna. McCormick has some pretty decent areas, but Care has Santa Ana and a bunch of busy LA areas if those are the kind of calls you're interested in.

More importantly, All the South OC Care units I see have those self loading gurneys. Im hulk smash level green with jealousy when I see them at the ER bays. Stay with Care for sure.

wtferick

Forum Captain
Doctors only has Laguna. McCormick has some pretty decent areas, but Care has Santa Ana and a bunch of busy LA areas if those are the kind of calls you're interested in.

More importantly, All the South OC Care units I see have those self loading gurneys. Im hulk smash level green with jealousy when I see them at the ER bays. Stay with Care for sure.
They are a pain in the butt to load when on a slope... Lol

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for McCormick, and I have to say if you're already hired with Care, might as well stay there unless the commute is going to be significantly shorter driving to Hawthorne (and there's no guarantee that's the station you'll stay at, though new hires are typically on day cars out of Hawthorne at first before they can get an open spot on a 24 hour station). I don't think there's any great difference in pay/benefits, both have a mix of day cars that post all day and station based units with a variety of hours and some busy areas where you see some gnarly calls.

The biggest differences is Care will start you out on a primary BLS IFT unit that only gets backup 911 calls before you can get on a dedicated 911 response unit Vs McCormick all units are first up 911 with only the occasional IFT on the side (they'll give those to an available 12 hour day car before a 24 hour unit) Both McCormick and Care responses with LACoFD you will respond to all ALS and BLS calls since County doesn't have ambulances, if it's ALS, the County medic will hop in the back with you and you'll assist them, so you'll get good experience with both companies. Don't know how OCFA works other than all responses are automatic Code 2 (McCormick is the same way in Torrance and Redondo Beach) but Care has power load gurneys and gps in the rigs, McCormick all gurneys are manual and all mapping is done via Thomas Guide mapbooks (though I will usually use Google Maps on my phone, but that is discouraged by the company actually).

Woodtownemt

Forum Lieutenant
I would stay at Care. Doesn't hurt being with worlds largest provider. Don't get me wrong McCormick has decent areas and not to mention awesome morale shirts but when push comes to shove, Care has larger backing. Speaking of which has anyone heard how there ALS program is going?

Surf40

Forum Probie
I work for McCormick, and I have to say if you're already hired with Care, might as well stay there unless the commute is going to be significantly shorter driving to Hawthorne (and there's no guarantee that's the station you'll stay at, though new hires are typically on day cars out of Hawthorne at first before they can get an open spot on a 24 hour station). I don't think there's any great difference in pay/benefits, both have a mix of day cars that post all day and station based units with a variety of hours and some busy areas where you see some gnarly calls.

The biggest differences is Care will start you out on a primary BLS IFT unit that only gets backup 911 calls before you can get on a dedicated 911 response unit Vs McCormick all units are first up 911 with only the occasional IFT on the side (they'll give those to an available 12 hour day car before a 24 hour unit) Both McCormick and Care responses with LACoFD you will respond to all ALS and BLS calls since County doesn't have ambulances, if it's ALS, the County medic will hop in the back with you and you'll assist them, so you'll get good experience with both companies. Don't know how OCFA works other than all responses are automatic Code 2 (McCormick is the same way in Torrance and Redondo Beach) but Care has power load gurneys and gps in the rigs, McCormick all gurneys are manual and all mapping is done via Thomas Guide mapbooks (though I will usually use Google Maps on my phone, but that is discouraged by the company actually).
Thanks a ton for that information...don't mean to revive an old thread, but I'm in the same boat - I haven't started at either company yet as I'm finishing up the process with both, but they both gave me the same tentative start date. Care is closer to (I live in Orange County) but I heard McCormick is a better company, treats you better, and you get better experience.

Also, according to Care, as of lately, they no longer have IFT only cars that they start new people on. You'll start on a day car, like McCormick, with the ability to respond to both IFT and 911 calls. McCormick told me they don't do many IFT transports and most will go to a day car or an ALS rig, they told me to expect 1-2 IFT's a month. Care said as a day car, expect 85% 911 calls and 15% IFT calls. I don't know how accurate that information actually is.

I'm kinda leaning towards McCormick, even though it's a further drive. What do you think?

wtferick

Forum Captain
Thanks a ton for that information...don't mean to revive an old thread, but I'm in the same boat - I haven't started at either company yet as I'm finishing up the process with both, but they both gave me the same tentative start date. Care is closer to (I live in Orange County) but I heard McCormick is a better company, treats you better, and you get better experience.

Also, according to Care, as of lately, they no longer have IFT only cars that they start new people on. You'll start on a day car, like McCormick, with the ability to respond to both IFT and 911 calls. McCormick told me they don't do many IFT transports and most will go to a day car or an ALS rig, they told me to expect 1-2 IFT's a month. Care said as a day car, expect 85% 911 calls and 15% IFT calls. I don't know how accurate that information actually is.

I'm kinda leaning towards McCormick, even though it's a further drive. What do you think?
Care will start you off working 2 private cars and 2 fire cars a week.

Surf40

Forum Probie
Well, I was notified by McCormick that they are no longer hiring and my name will be added to the list and contacted once openings are made available again.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Dang, well I'm sure we'll be hiring again shortly, there seems to be new hire classes fairly regularly....in the meantime yeah, Care is a great place.....but I'm happy with a non-white uniform shirt (I'd have to change it out at least once every shift :p ) and having only ran 1 IFT in the last 4 months haha