Opqrst

BL89

Forum Probie
How would you change up your OPQRST questions for a patient with nausea? Most OPQRST questions are geared toward the symptom of pain? New EMT sorry guys.

emtwilson

Forum Ride Along
OPQRST is pretty universal.

Nausea has an onset of provocation (what provoked it), time (how long), quality (extreme, cramping, etc)

Radiation would be the only non-focus factor of the nausea, but would be key if the patient had nausea because of pain of course.

That's my two cents :eek:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
There are a few more relevant questions to ask with vomiting (blood? any other GI complaints? etc..) but as far as OPQRST, many of the same questions apply. You'll want to know when it started, if any event seemed to trigger the onset or if anything makes the N/V worse etc.

Radiation of vomiting is generally outwards.... into the toilet, bag or on your partner if you're lucky. ;)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
How would you change up your OPQRST questions for a patient with nausea? Most OPQRST questions are geared toward the symptom of pain? New EMT sorry guys.

Why would you need to change it?
Onset- when did you become nauseous?
Provocation- anything make your nausea better or worse?
Quality- don't ask them to describe it
Radiation- not applicable
Severity- sure. Scale of 1-10 if you really want
Timing- same as normal

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Nausea is hardly an emergent condition, or particular to any one emergent condition. If they are stable with no other complaints just leave them alone and take them to the hospital if that's what they want

OP
OP
B

BL89

Forum Probie
Thanks guys! Not really sure why I was having a tough time with that. I feel dumb.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't feel dumb! It's good that you're asking questions and analyzing the information you've been taught. Just don't get so caught up in acronyms and mnemonics that you forget your own common sense.

emtwilson

Forum Ride Along
Thanks guys! Not really sure why I was having a tough time with that. I feel dumb.

Don't EVER feel dumb! And don't let anyone LET you feel dumb because that's when you get too afraid to ask questions and then you don't ask, and then something bad happens!

We're all here to learn from each other :) I learn something new everyday and I'm always asking questions. Don't be afraid to ask :)

nwhitney

Forum Captain

We were taught to add an "I" at the end and it was expected (for lack of a better word) to be used during our state practicals. Not sure if anyone else does. Anyways "I" is for interventions that the patient may have done to try and help themselves.