Opinions on EMTs Under 18 yo

MicahW

Forum Crew Member
I am a fairly new EMT (under 2 years). I am now 17 and became an EMT in CT at 16. I have heard opinions from both sides about weather or not people under 18 should be allowed to be EMTs. I have had a variety of experiences in EMS regarding my age. It is not uncommon for people to ask me my age and then respond with "and they let you stick me" (when I am taking a glucose, for example). I have never let it bother me. I do not try to tell defend my ability to be an EMT to them, I just show them that I know what I am doing.

I was wondering what your opinions on the matter are (please don't hold back).

Here are some of my experiences and opinions:

I believe that some people are vey capable EMTs at 16 ad 17. Even through EMT school, I read all of the literature I could find. Over the summer, I spend days just looking at new studies on cardiac arrests and the like. I read every month's JEMS front to back. I am not saying that I am the most knowledgable EMT, just that I put in as much effort as any EMT I know, of any age.

I think that having become an EMT when I was 16 actually made me a better EMT. I knew that I was being judged harder than anyone else was and that any mistake I made, even if every other student had made it, would, in their minds, just go to show that you can't be 16 and be a good EMT. This made me work my *** off and that made me a better EMT.

I took my EMT class at AMR and did every shift I could take with them. You could always tell when a crew didn't have faith in you because of your age, even before you even stepped on the rig. Most were very accepting and some did not even ask me my age until after the shift.

I think that some people thought that a 16 year old EMT would be fine at a tiny, 0 calls per day, volunteer company but did not belong anywhere near the inner city where I would take my shifts (I won't name the city because I do not think it is appropriate to name the company, even though I loved them and still love them and plan on applying for a job with them when I turn 18).

Some people outside of my company definitely did not like the idea of me trying to do the same job that they did. I once rolled up on a heart problems call where fire had already been on-scene for 5 minutes. I was rolling ALS that day with one medic and one EMT. We walk in the house where the woman is on the second floor. Fire says that they will have her walk down to us but my medic says he wants to check her out first. We walk upstairs, where the woman is one her bed. Medic hooks her up, SVT. "OK, I'll go get the stair chair." I go, get it, bring it upstairs and we get her out of the house. Transfer her to the cot and continue treatment before we put her in the ambulance. The stair chair is currently leaned up agains my leg so I ask a firefighter if he wouldn't mind grabbing it for me while I load the stretcher. He just stairs at me and doesn't move. I get his attitude and decide to just leave it on the ground and run back and get it once she is loaded. Later that day, I find out that fire has filed a report against my hole crew, claiming that I barked at a firefighter to go and get the stair chair while we were inside the house. It was bs and both of my crew vouched for me to the supervisor and told him that I was the best student that they had ever had (ended up backfiring on fire). Everyone knew that it was because I was 16 and the firefighter did not like the idea of being an EMR on a call where the EMT was 16.

This is not to say that everyone who is 16 can be an EMT. Most cannot, just like most people in general cannot.

I also disagree with programs such as this one: http://www.post53.info
The entire EMS system in this town (Darien) is made up of high school students. I think that the only time anyone else goes to a call is for ALS assistance. I have never been on a call with them (even though I live quite close to them) but I have heard some bad things.

I think that they make it seem like EMS is a job that can be preformed by kids--it is not. I think that it also encourages an attitude that this is not too serious, that it is something you do with your friends. I think that some people can be EMTs before they are 16, but to be one, you need to be trained in an environment that does not tolerate a childish attitude. EMS is nothing like school: you don't get to screw around on calls like you do in classes and making EMS an "after school activity" is absolute absurd (but it is Darien's prerogative and I am glad not to live there). Look at the pictures on the site too. I am not one to judge a company on its gear, the best can do anything with nothing, but they really need to stop shopping at Bob's for their pants. I have never seen a supervisor wear white pants and I would be interested to see how well those work out when getting bled and thrown up on.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
I started skimming towards the end. So you're saying you're special and can be an EMT at 16 but nobody else should be? It seems you are really contradicting yourself in this post.

I see nothing wrong with 16-17 year olds doing IFT stuff. I don't think they should do 911 though. Not because of skills or capabilities, but because they shouldn't be exposed to some of the things they might encounter.

And as for uniforms, white pants are weird to me no matter what for. But, white uniform shirts are used all the time if you manage to get them dirty, you wash them.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
You say you read literature in making your case for under 18s.

Ever heard of n=1?

Not that it is of much relevance.

john young

Forum Ride Along
I'd say under 18 is a little young for some of the stuff you encounter in the job. That being said, I'm one of the youngest paramedics in the UK and like yourself, continually get my age commented on. If you have a mature attitude and outlook on life then there's no reason really why you shouldn't be able to work within the pre hospital environment. Good on you mate, i wish you well.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you need to stop being involved in EMS until you are mature enough to handle it. That may be when you are 18...20...30...or never. But just going off the small exposure to the type of person you currently are as displayed here, you aren't there yet.

Oh, and are you 17 or 19?

john young

Forum Ride Along
what is the set age in the U.S. to be employed in the emergency services? It's 18 in the UK having came down from 21 for the ambulance services. I joined at 21 and personally, found that i had a fair bit of growing up to do in a short space of time.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Completely dependent on the local area/individual companies and agencies. Some will hire at 18, some won't hire until 21 for insurance reasons, and apparently some will hire at 16 or 17...

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
apparently some will hire at 16 or 17...
I don't know of any paid positions that hire under 18, or even any besides Darien CT Post 53 that allows solo attendants <18. Darien EMS does it as part of a high school explorer type program and also uses adult crew members to help at certain times and staff some sort of AEMT/Intermediate fly car. There are however plenty of places that let people younger than 18 be involved in parts of Fire/EMS departments as juniors or cadet members.

If you look closely at the original post here, you'll notice the OP is only mentioning "his company" and "his crew" as those he was doing student based ride alongs with before or after EMT school.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Honestly, I don't believe children have any place in emergency services. I would be happy to put a minimum age of 20 or 21 to work an emergency ambulance. Simply put, kids don't have the maturity needed. But that's just my opinion.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
I wouldn't trust a minor to provide patient care at the EMT level. I believe 18 is fine, thats when I got my EMT (21 now) and my first EMT job. Ive been involved in some sort of emergency services (Fire/EMS) in the 3 years I've been an EMT. But then again everyones maturity level is different, I know some 18 year old's that are more mature than people in their late 20's early 30's and vise versa.

Where I was a explorer I was riding out on a fire engine at 16 years old, I wasn't a EMT I just took vitals and 4/12 leads. I believe if you're under 18 and are considering this (emergency services) as career, then join a explorer post. I don't believe that minors(<18 years old) should be a BLS provider.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I wouldn't trust a minor to provide patient care at the EMT level. I believe 18 is fine, thats when I got my EMT (21 now) and my first EMT job. Ive been involved in some sort of emergency services (Fire/EMS) in the 3 years I've been an EMT. But then again everyones maturity level is different, I know some 18 year old's that are more mature than people in their late 20's early 30's and vise versa.

Where I was a explorer I was riding out on a fire engine at 16 years old, I wasn't a EMT I just took vitals and 4/12 leads. I believe if you're under 18 and are considering this (emergency services) as career, then join a explorer post. I don't believe that minors(<18 years old) should be a BLS provider.
I was an interior FF by the time I was 17... nobody ever said anything to me about that. In fact, I was more mature than many of the older firefighters on my department. Nobody ever said anything to me about that to me, but if you bring up the topic of a 16-17 year old in EMS and everyone loses their heads.

I know I'm the minority here, but I would rather trust my life a 17 year old EMT who is very serious and cares deeply about giving quality care than a 47 year old burnout who only cares about when his shift is over.

OP, don't let anyone drag you down. Earn your skeptics trust by showing them your competence.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I was an interior FF by the time I was 17... nobody ever said anything to me about that. In fact, I was more mature than many of the older firefighters on my department. Nobody ever said anything to me about that to me, but if you bring up the topic of a 16-17 year old in EMS and everyone loses their heads.

I know I'm the minority here, but I would rather trust my life a 17 year old EMT who is very serious and cares deeply about giving quality care than a 47 year old burnout who only cares about when his shift is over.

OP, don't let anyone drag you down. Earn your skeptics trust by showing them your competence.
I honestly have never been in an area that allowed Jr members or explorers to go interior. in the areas of NM I started in, and the areas of TX and CO I have worked in, any member under 18 was either a Jr or an Explorer and were not allowed interior or to run primary on any medical call.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I honestly have never been in an area that allowed Jr members or explorers to go interior. in the areas of NM I started in, and the areas of TX and CO I have worked in, any member under 18 was either a Jr or an Explorer and were not allowed interior or to run primary on any medical call.
I was not considered a JR member.

squirrel15

Forum Captain

Id say the same for FF I think you should have to be older than 16-17, but I digress. Based on some of his other posts, I don't think he has the maturity to be acting as a primary on a call.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

This. I was a explorer for 5 years and wasn't allowed in a IDLH environment. I would stay by the engine or rehab on fires. I was allowed on all medical aids, as I stated before vitals and 4/12 leads plus occasional CPR (yes I was certified).

If a 17 year old can't legally make their own decisions then how the hell are they able to make medical/clinical decisions for someone else?

Same for a firefighter under 18. Im sorry but I would trust the 47 year old burnout to save my butt on a fire vs a 17 year old piss and vinegar who feels like he has something to prove to everyone just because he's the "young buck".

john young

Forum Ride Along
Id say the same for FF I think you should have to be older than 16-17, but I digress. Based on some of his other posts, I don't think he has the maturity to be acting as a primary on a call.

I'd argue that the "burnout" might have years of experience on the job and no matter how much they wanted their shift to end, they'd still walk the walk.

OP
OP
MicahW

MicahW

Forum Crew Member
You say you read literature in making your case for under 18s.

Ever heard of n=1?

Not that it is of much relevance.

I simply wanted to show that I truly respect the medical field and what it takes to be good in it and that his is not some hobby out of which I get my daily adrenaline high.