"Onward & Upward"-- now that I've passed...

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
Hey guys...

I found out yesterday (finally) that I passed. YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Now, I've got sooooooo much more to learn... "FIELD-wise". I know that I have to just keep running calls and getting experience. Other than that, I would appreciate any and all suggestions for a "newbie" like me. But SERIOUSLY... On ANY and all aspects of being an EMT... please offer your advice.:unsure:

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
learn form the experienced- when working a call with a senior partner(s), watch their every move. listen to everything they say and not just what they say but how they say it. watch their actions closely. their are street tricks that make certain procedures easier that arent in the book

keep your head down- when you get a job, be the quite guy(girl). ask question when you need to, answer questions when asked. but other than that, dont try to jump right in and be part of the gang. this business can be a little clique and some people dont like newbies. take some time to find out whoe the players are and what the game is before trying to play. thats not to say be the shy type sitting in the corner and not talking to anybody but dont show up your first day on the truck and try to talk to the other folks as equals. some people dont appreciate that

dont carry nine hundred things on your belt- read the "what do you carry on your belt" thread. evaluate what your really need and what you just want because you think its kool. along this line is everything in the wacker catagory. lights and equipment on your pov. stickers on vehicle. tatoos etc. most of the experienced guys look down on that sort of behavior

dont drive like a maniac-this is my biggest complaint about new emts. they drive like they have their eyes closed and a cinderblock for a foot. drive like you normally drive. and when you flip the switches, keep in mind that emergency warning devices dont give you the right to declare ownership of the whole road. almost dieing(sp), or getting into/causing a wreck on your way to the call doesnt help anybody. saving that two minutes isnt worth it.

thats about all i have for ya now. keep it safe and welcome to the profession and the board

FutureFlightMedic

Forum Lieutenant
Congatulations on becoming an EMT!! :rolleyes: I think you will love it. I agree with the above post-you do want to appear friendly and approachable, but NOT like a know-it-all....I say this because I am on a volunteer FD and was accepted and sworn in at the same time as another new volley. This is not intended to sound like bragging-just info, but the difference in how I'm treated by the guys (I'm a girl), and how she is treated is tremendous. I don't mean there is mean-ness or cruelness toward her; they are a great group- it's just that I seem to get treated with respect and kindness, and here are the reasons that I believe that is:
#1. I show up-I go to drill, and volunteer every chance I get-IN UNIFORM
#2 I offer to help with any little chore around the station.
#3 I help clean the medic unit and gurney after calls without being asked.
#4 I am always curious to learn new things by asking questions (and try never to ask questions at innapropriate times-busy scene calls, etc...)
#5 I always act friendly, professional and curteous. Remember, when you are in uniform, wherever you are, you are representing your title, as well as your department. Always look the part. Be, speak, and act the way that you want to be percieved. You are a PROFESSIONAL!!! YOU ARE AN EMT!! :) The day you get that patch, you represent all of us in the EMS profession. BE PROUD OF THAT! And Best of all, Have Fun! You will help many people in the years to come. Hope this helps :rolleyes: Congratulations Again!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Do what your supposed to do.. BLS wise, take vital signs, dress and bandage wounds, don't interrupt during interview or obtaining history etc.. until, you see that it was not covered.

Be my partner, be my co-worker, be my friend, ...cover my rear and vice versa... work as a team.

You will go far... Congrat's

R/r 911

prizonmedik

Forum Probie
FirefightersMom enjoy your career in EMS as it is as rewarding as it is demanding.

OP
OP
WVfirefightersmom

WVfirefightersmom

Forum Probie
Remember to breathe.

Oh, and Congrats!!

:p I tell ya how important what you've just said is... I've thought of a LOT of what has been posted.... But... just like on the calls I've already been on... I ALWAYS FORGET TO BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm so excited!

THANKS TO EVERYONE SO FAR FOR YOUR VALUABLE ADVICE... AND PLEASEEEEEEEE KEEP IT COMING. I'm a fast learner and a good listener. I value every single word!:wub:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
* Quit using so many capital letters! :p
* Listen to others. Ask questions of others.
* If you have downtime and you happen to be posted at an ER, ask if there are any patients with unusual lung sounds that you can listen to. I did that the other day, and a nurse said "Sure! Check this guy out.." I just told her that I like to listen to lung sounds so I can recognize them in the future.
* Keep the rigs clean!
* Bring snacks. Clif Bars are good.
* Take vitals as often as you can until youre comfortable with them. They say "every 15 minutes for stable, every 5 for critical." Patients don't know that. Do they every 10 minutes for stable patients, if it doesn't bug them too much.

Most important is to relax! And have fun! :)

futuretoledoemt

Forum Crew Member
Congrats!!!!

Congrats on passing, I remember what a load off of my shoulders that was... And how exciting :)

Everyone has offered excellent advice... Here's something I haven't seen, but I've encountered as a new EMT.

Just because some of your counterparts cut corners does not mean you should. I have a lot of coworkers who might get a "current set of vitals" from the ER nurse so they dont have to do them, or who use the lifepak to get BP, pulse ox for the pulse, etc...

Lifepak's are wonderful things, dont get me wrong.

As a new EMT you need all the practice you can get on BP's, lung sounds, pulse, etc... Do them yourself. It's easy to become a little lazy.

Sidenote: I'm not saying you would do any of this, I'm just relating my own experiences :)

Best of luck to you :)
April

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader