Onslow County EMS; Jacksonville NC; Coastal Carolina Communty College

dkbrett22

Forum Ride Along
I’m an EMT from CT looking to relocate Jacksonville North Carolina. I’d like to land a gig as an emt for Onslow County EMS and also want to attend the next medic program out of coastal Carolina communty college that’s in Jacksonville. Can anyone shed some light on working for Onslow County EMS or what the medic program is like at coastal?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
From: http://www.onslowcountync.gov/793/Emergency-Medical-Services

"Currently we have 76 full time and 20 part time employees who are dedicated to the highest quality of care. We provide a 100% paramedic level service augmented by a volunteer Basic EMT and Advanced Rescue service. "

Pre-Employment Requirements

• NC Paramedic certification (or ability to obtain reciprocity)

OP
OP
D

dkbrett22

Forum Ride Along
Well that’s a bummer. Any idea of a paid bls service in this area? Also have you heard anything about the medic program in Jacksonville?

DrParasite

honestly, no clue. I've never been to jacksonville, except for driving through it on the way to the beach.

Why are you so set on the jacksonville medic program? or more accurately, why are you moving to jacksonville? And even more accurately, would you be open to moving to other parts of NC instead, ones that hire EMTs for 911 services?

This is probably one of the better EMS careers sites in NC. https://news.ncems.org/employment

OP
OP
D

dkbrett22

Forum Ride Along
We wanted to move by the coast in nc. Jacksonville seems to be the only medic program I can find along the coast that’s 16 months. I want to find a program that I can get through asap. 2 year programs sound horrible to me. So I’d be open to other suggestions for medic programs along the coast? Paid Emt jobs along the coast? I’m not familiar with nc at all. It’s a new adventure for us.

DrParasite

1) check out that website, many jobs are listed there.
2) the 2 year programs will give you an associates degree, while the 16 month ones are typically only a certificate program. If you don't already have a bachelors degree, I would look at the 2 year programs.
3) EMS in NC is mostly county based, so check the county HR websites for open positions. but the NCEMS website would be where I would start.
4) I'm 2 to 2 1/2 hours from the beach, and 3 to 3 1/2 from the outer banks. I'm less than 45 minutes from 3 major universities. I'm 4 hours from ashville and the mountains. and I don't have to worry about massive flooding every time a hurricane comes up the east coast. and I've heard salaries, particularly public sector ones, are higher toward in the center of the state than on the coast. But I do have some friends who love being at the coast (but none who work in EMS, and a couple former coast people who moved west).

There are several threads about EMS in NC on EMT life. Not sure how much there is about agencies on the coast, but EMS in general.

good luck, and make sure you do your research and have a job offer in hand before you move.

OP
OP
D

dkbrett22

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the info I really appreciate it. Which county are you from the one you described above?

DrParasite

I currently live in Wake County. Moved here 4 years ago from NJ

OP
OP
D

dkbrett22

Forum Ride Along
I’ve heard wake county is a great area to work ems. Wake county has paid emts? Any insight as to what they pay emts? I have 6 years experience.

DrParasite

do a search on wake EMS.... then PM me

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
As a North Carolinian, I'd visit Jacksonville before you decide to move there. I've driven through it many times on the way to the beach, I'm not sure I'd want to live there.

Last I checked reciprocity in North Carolina is fairly easy.

That's all I can really offer on EMS in North Carolina.

Good luck!

DrParasite

As a North Carolinian, I'd visit Jacksonville before you decide to move there. I've driven through it many times on the way to the beach, I'm not sure I'd want to live there.
+1. When I moved to NC, I had a job offer in hand, had visited the state twice, had checked out the area and researched apartment complexes that I wanted to live in, including by asking local responders what they though of various areas, and which areas i should avoid.. And that included an unplanned demonstration of southern hospitality, that would have never happened in the north.
Last I checked reciprocity in North Carolina is fairly easy.
ridiculously easy. It takes a little bit because they mail everything to you (they might have change since they went to the new system), but it was much less painless than reciprocity for my firefighter credentials.

911 is mostly county based (with some franchising as well, typically formerly volunteer rescue squads or fire departments who are now part of the regional EMS system). Many of the hospitals also run their own EMS systems for CCT and IFT (UNC's positions can be found at https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/search-jobs/emt?orgIds=18370-12068&kt=1 ), and some are contracted to provide 911 services for the county.

The jobs are there, but I'm not sure about the Jacksonville area.