Online Scheduling

maskwith

Forum Ride Along
These mentioned software developers have spent many man-years developing their programs. So I would be hard pressed to believe that you can make a cost-effective use of your time writing a program for your single organization.

Having said that I also do not believe in the saying "you get what you pay for". Be sure to do your homework to get a good Rate of Return (ROI). I know that Time Tracker Scheduling Software fits the description for many.

With no monthly fees and over 40 reports; Time Tracker delivers a great ROI. With a one-time purchase of 2,000 employees the cost is a $1 per employee; yet it is still feature rich.

None the less you need to thoroughly examine your options. It is a lot of work and it is tempting to make a knee-jerk decision, however, mistaken decisions can be even more costly.

A lot of good suggestions have been made on this thread, you might just want to examine a few of the different products. Good Luck

rbromme

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm... So no free solutions eh?

We don't need timesheets and stuff, it's for a volunteer station, but our Chief is disinclined to spend money for something that is currently done by one of the full timers by hand and eventually typed into ms word.

I guess if I want a system that is less clunky, I'll be writing my own...

We use whentohelp as a volunteer service.

Free Use of WhenToHelpSM Lite
Online Volunteer Scheduling

Any organization that schedules volunteers is welcome to try out WhenToHelpSM Lite free for thirty days. (If you do employee scheduling we recommend trying WhenToWork online employee scheduling, which also has a thirty day free trial.)

Certain qualifying organizations can also apply for extended free use of WhenToHelp Lite. Non-qualifying organizations or those who would like to use the full version of WhenToHelp can do so by becoming a member and paying our low subscription prices.

WhenToHelp Lite version has nearly all the same features as the Full Version with some limits on the number of volunteers and shifts per week. Please see the comparison chart for a list of which features are included in each version.
Who Qualifies for Extended Free Use of WhenToHelp Lite?

United States 501(C)3 organizations and Canadian Registered Charities who schedule unpaid volunteers can apply for extended free use of WhenToHelp Lite.

After completing the express sign up form (found on the right side of this page), organizations can complete an online application to request extended free use of WhenToHelp Lite.

Upon receipt of the application, WhenToHelp will consider each organization's request based on a number of variables.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess if I want a system that is less clunky, I'll be writing my own...

As a software engineer I can assure you that this is a bold statement :)

FireManager is pretty nice, we use it at our combined career/volunteer department to manage 2 24x7 apparatuses and ~100 folks between EMS/Fire.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I would recommend When To Work over Net-Scheduler / ePro. Much better user interface, ease of use, easy clicking on coworkers to communicate on trades, seeing who's working your station, easier clicking on individual shifts to try to trade rather than manually entering the shifts you want to trade each time you request a trade/swap.