online education

T1medic

Forum Crew Member
Well I am currently and EMT and about to start fire school in August. I will be taking night class. I also plan to attend Paramedic when the funds are available again after fire school. My question is I would like to take Medical Teminology and A&P before going into the Medic program. I am considering taking those two classes online through my local community college and would like other peoples views on taking those online. Are those classes that someone would benefit more from have in class lectures and learning?

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
absolutely no difference when in class or online for those classes. it is either you read the book, or the instructor reads it for you and then you still have to go home and re-read it. online classes have discussions and such so it is the same as class if you don't understand. the online has a better learning practice sometimes of basically going over the same thing in different exercises hundreds of times so that you cannot not get it. Online is way better IMO because you get the same book but a different approach with hands on and visual learning.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well I am currently and EMT and about to start fire school in August. I will be taking night class. I also plan to attend Paramedic when the funds are available again after fire school. My question is I would like to take Medical Teminology and A&P before going into the Medic program. I am considering taking those two classes online through my local community college and would like other peoples views on taking those online. Are those classes that someone would benefit more from have in class lectures and learning?

There are many good on-line courses. Medical term would be one good one if they have a program on proper pronunciation. A & P CANNOT be adequately taught on-line. How would one do and perform their labs? Kinda hard feeling and seeing a bone for bone markings or dissecting the heart and actually feeling the papillary muscles. There is too many excuses of courses that is being offered on-line, some theory courses are great, where the expectation is minimal, but those that involve hands on.. need such.

Good luck!

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think that both can be done online, though I've only seen A & P done online, with an in-class lab portion. I often thought about taking them online, but the lab portion never fit my schedule.

BrianJ

Forum Probie
Psio

I'm taking A&P this summer through a University in class. The labs are awesome, yesterday we dissected sheep hearts and played with EKGs. In fact this is probably the best class I have ever taken (starting my 4th year at the university this fall). Also if you have a good instructor the book becomes more of a reference point or a way to preread material; it is not my primary study device.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
when i did A&P online the labs were on your own. you had to buy a $300 Lab kit and a 600x microscope. they sent organs in a freeze transport device where you stored them in your freezer until dissection time. the labs were very easy to follow and you had videos and other activities to accompany them so you can see someone else point out what you are looking at. when the blood and other labs came about they had a manual that took you through everything step by step with pics. i learned a lot from it because i didn't just have a partner or the instructor do it for me.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Is this a 1 semester A&P survey class without a lab like what many Paramedic programs even at the college level have gone to? Or, is this the health professions' 2 semester A&P with lab?

If it is the 2 semester sequence which includes a lab with each class, I would recommend taking it at the college.

If it is just the 1 semester A&P Survey or Body Structure and Function class for Paramedics, then online will suffice.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
If it is the 2 semester sequence which includes a lab with each class, I would recommend taking it at the college.
Mine was...and like i stated (could be due to my learning style) i learned a ton more and retained a ton more doing my A&P online.