online A & P class

Digger

Forum Probie
I am an EMT-B, trying to get the prereqs out of the way so I can get into medic school in the spring. I need an A & P class and would love to find one online so I don't have to take too much time off work attending class 5 days a week before I start paramedic school. Does anyone know of an accredited online anatomy and physiology course?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
many colleges do online courses, I have not heard of an online one though.

Just so you know, there is often a lab component with them.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
The college that I attend in Indiana offers a full online for A & P 2 only. The labs are done online and it is taught with the Marieb text that integrates with the publishers website. Admission into that course is by permission only with a minimum 3.75 gpa in both A & P 1 and the rest of your previous coursework.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
I've wondered the same thing. I live a couple hundred miles from the nearest community college, so it's either an online class or nothing.

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Be aware that many fully "online" A&P classes will have you basically BUYING THE LAB. That means you will own a microscope, a :censored::censored::censored::censored: ton of slides, and a pickled cat for A & P 1 (at least, for the way mine was structured... and we also used the Marieb text, fantastic book!!)

As far as accommodating a busy work schedule, I have found the hybrid classes to be the best of both worlds. I took A&P 1 and Microbiology this term as hybrids (I'm just retaking a bunch of prereq's for nursing so it's fresh, since I'm slated to start within a year) and it was fabulous. All the lecture portion was online, with instructor's notes, practice quizzes, quizzes, etc. The lab portion was one day a week in class, and I didn't have to own a pickled cat (that was nasty!). This allowed some instructor contact, but none of the BS of sitting through lectures that you may or may not be interested in. Next semester I'm taking online pathophysiology, A&P2 hybrid, and in-class abnormal psych.

The downside of this: You must be hyper-aware of all your deadlines and you have to learn the material on your own. If you don't learn well on your own, you will probably struggle with this.

You're in San Diego, right? Let me do some Google-fu and see if there's any hybrids available near you.

Wendy
CO EMT-B

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Looks like the San Diego Community College District collaborates a lot. Here's the link to look up classes... seems like A & P are taught separately. What I did was select "subject" as "Biological sciences" and then was able to choose from the courses in the drop down below that, and display all of the course offerings for both anatomy, and physiology.

http://schedule.sdccd.edu/index.cfm?action=search_class

Human anatomy looks to run on a 2 class/week schedule for almost everyone... with some evening and weekend classes.

Human physiology looks like a similar deal. Longer on your second day probably due to a lab.

Good luck to you!

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
D

Digger

Forum Probie
Thanks alot for the info! what exactly is a hybrid class? I haven't heard of that before...

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks alot for the info! what exactly is a hybrid class? I haven't heard of that before...

Part of the work, the lecture, is done online. You come to campus for lab.

This is how I would do it if I were trying to take it online. You will miss out on a lot without a real lab.