One handed compressions

OP
OP
S

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
A skilled driver would not enter an intersection at 90 mph, a skilled driver knows how to approach an intersection at a speed in which they can stop the bus. And if they enter an intersection and someone blows a red lights, even at 30 they would not be able to stop or correct, so speed is irrelevant when it comes to other drivers blunders. I wasnt talking about a new ems provider, I was talking about a SKILLED DRIVER.

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Mar 4 2005, 11:09 PM
A skilled driver would not enter an intersection at 90 mph, a skilled driver knows how to approach an intersection at a speed in which they can stop the bus. And if they enter an intersection and someone blows a red lights, even at 30 they would not be able to stop or correct, so speed is irrelevant when it comes to other drivers blunders. I wasnt talking about a new ems provider, I was talking about a SKILLED DRIVER.
it doesn't matter if the driver is a rookie or behind the wheel for 15 years, if he's booking down the road and someone pulls out from a sidde street or a driveway or whatever, it's gonna be bad if they are flying down the road at an unsafe speed. you might have a chance to avoid something if you are going at a regular rate of speed. If you are flying at a high rate and someone pulls in front of you, it's going to be your *** in court when they find out how fast and unsafe that rig was traveling. there is no reason to go mach 1 down the road. 15 mph over the speed limit is fine but going as fast as your rig can take you will just lead to trouble one day. again, please be safe people.

OP
OP
S

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
"even at 30 they would not be able to stop or correct"

do i even need to say anything?

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by Summit@Mar 4 2005, 09:05 PM
Everyone would agree it's lunacy to go this fast in city streets with regular intersections. On country roads and limited access highways its another story entirely. Not everyone lives in an urban jungle ;)
Medic03 and I don't volly in a city... we're in a suburban area with many rural parts - and in the middle of the night there's usually no one on the road like anywhere else.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by rescuecpt+Mar 6 2005, 06:11 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuecpt @ Mar 6 2005, 06:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Summit@Mar 4 2005, 09:05 PM
Everyone would agree it's lunacy to go this fast in city streets with regular intersections. On country roads and limited access highways its another story entirely. Not everyone lives in an urban jungle ;)
Medic03 and I don't volly in a city... we're in a suburban area with many rural parts - and in the middle of the night there's usually no one on the road like anywhere else. [/b][/quote]
Come now, East Coast "rural" is different than West rural.

Eaton's Head has an avg population of 1,378.4/mi² (less dense than Suffolk Co, 1,556/mi²).

The county I work in, is about 30% larger in area than Suffolk, has less than 1/150th the total population... has an average population density of just over 6/mi².

The biggest town in the county (and there are only 6 named areas) has a population of 1500. I know Eaton's is small as well, but I don't really think there is any comparison here.

rescuecpt

I didn't say we were as rural as you, just that we're not in the city. Everyone hears NY and thinks Manhattan and with my 20 minutes lights and sirens to the hospital and 7 miles to the nearest grocery store, I sure as heck don't live in a city.

As for Eaton's Head, I'm not sure where you got your stats from or how they apply, because that's not where I live... and never have. :p

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Mar 6 2005, 09:04 PM
I didn't say we were as rural as you, just that we're not in the city. Everyone hears NY and thinks Manhattan and with my 20 minutes lights and sirens to the hospital and 7 miles to the nearest grocery store, I sure as heck don't live in a city.

As for Eaton's Head, I'm not sure where you got your stats from or how they apply, because that's not where I live... and never have. :p
Stats I pulled off the 2000 census. I just assumed you were Eaton's Head because of the website in your profile was for Eaton's Head fire or something :unsure: oops my bad

:p

My point was that some rural areas out here you can travel and know that there are no intersecting roads and take at higher speeds weather and road permitting (of course sometimes you can't... lots of elk, deer, and antelope in certain areas).

I hear ya on the 7 miles to the grocery store.

I sympathize with you on people stereotyping your area based on on the well known area (NYC for you). To most of the county we are "Flyoverland" or "Vail/Aspen"

We have little clinics here that are usually within 45 minutes or less of most of our service area. A real hospital (with ICU, or inpatient OR, or even an "ED" with more than 4 beds) is 80-130min (depending where you are) climbing over 11000ft high mountain passes minutes Code 3 in good weather. We fly many critical patients during the day in good weather (which is never when you need it in the mtns), sometimes use fixed wing air ambulances (we have two 1 mile runways (not airports) in the county). It makes life interesting especially as we are a tourist mecca.

While we are often overstaffed with 4-5 BLS ambulances and 3-4 ILS/ALS fly units (our system only gets 2000 calls a year) in order to keep response times down, last night we were down to one ambulance covering the whole county. I ended up attending a 7hr round trip two patient interfacility (from our clinics to the real hospitals) there can be some time pressure just to return to cover the county (they almost gave me a third patient!

I'm sorry I've forgotten what I was typign the whole message about anyhow. I get that way on the last night of a 72hr. At least I"m on the quiet half of things. :blink:

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Wow, somebody as rural as we are! :p

I agree with the East Coast Rural and West Coast Rural thing, though. We have one road going to one of the 16 different hospitals we transport to that has a 40 mile stretch without a single intersecting road except one. That one road goes to a federal high security reservation dealing with stuff that glows in the dark, so we get very minimal traffic from it.

Also, my original comment about 90mph in an ambulance is not that different from those posting that they believe 15mph over the limit is good enough. The interstate we were travelling on at the time was posted 75mph so we were doing the 15mph over.

Overall, I have to agree that the speed you travel in an ambulance depends upon several factors, including weather, time of day, road condition, traffic conditions, type of road, intersections, driver ability, and medic/patient needs.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by Summit@Mar 6 2005, 11:49 PM
Stats I pulled off the 2000 census. I just assumed you were Eaton's Head because of the website in your profile was for Eaton's Head fire or something :unsure: oops my bad
It's Eaton's Neck, just giving you a hard time. :p

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by Summit+Mar 6 2005, 08:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Summit @ Mar 6 2005, 08:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Mar 6 2005, 06:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Summit
@Mar 4 2005, 09:05 PM
Everyone would agree it's lunacy to go this fast in city streets with regular intersections. On country roads and limited access highways its another story entirely. Not everyone lives in an urban jungle  ;)

Medic03 and I don't volly in a city... we're in a suburban area with many rural parts - and in the middle of the night there's usually no one on the road like anywhere else.
Come now, East Coast "rural" is different than West rural.

Eaton's Head has an avg population of 1,378.4/mi² (less dense than Suffolk Co, 1,556/mi²).

The county I work in, is about 30% larger in area than Suffolk, has less than 1/150th the total population... has an average population density of just over 6/mi².

The biggest town in the county (and there are only 6 named areas) has a population of 1500. I know Eaton's is small as well, but I don't really think there is any comparison here. [/b][/quote]
No sand and sage brush in the rural corners of the east, our rural looks better.. :p

The population of our wilderness/rural coverage area is 156. 90% being vast wilderness, with a total of 450 Sq. Miles. Pop/Den is like 1.2; the whole county has a pop of 4,900. My "rural" borough has 37 people, with about 100 cows for every person.

The commercials about rural Pennsylvania are wrong, I wanna know what the hell happened to this "Fresh Country Air"?

PEWwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :huh:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Now the topic...

I only do one hand compressions when loading or unloading the patient from the ambulance. I don't see how you could compress deep enough with just one hand. But what ever floats your boat I guess. :ph34r: I love the smilies :blink: :huh: <<Especially that one .

Summit

Critical Crazy
Originally posted by Blueeighty8@Mar 7 2005, 12:37 PM
about 100 cows for every person.

The commercials about rural Pennsylvania are wrong, I wanna know what the hell happened to this "Fresh Country Air"?

My grandpa used to say "Smells like money" whenever I complained about the smell at his ranch.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Summit@Mar 7 2005, 01:07 PM
about 100 cows for every person.

My grandpa used to say "Smells like money" whenever I complained about the smell at his ranch.
Yeah. Around here we get the nasal assult if we venture too far south or west in the county - Muschroom Capital of the world on one end, and Amish Country on the other. :rolleyes:

Just can't win :(

Jon

rescuecpt

Gotta love the stink of sulpher and rot when it's dead low tide. :D

I get that almost everyday at some point.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i fail to see the logic in transporting a code 6o miles. if you cant get em back on scene, call med control, get wuthorization to pronounce. i phsyically cant work a code for the long. 60 miles, figure average speed of 70 at best, just under an hour transport time. he's dead. call it.

back to the original question, once you break a few ribs compressions get much easier. i can see how someone with powerful arms could do adequate one handed compressions.