On-Line Training

TMJR

Forum Ride Along
Has anyone taken the Allied Medical Training EMT Course? It is accredited and the cost is fairly inexpensive.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Accredited by who? some random organization that you know nothing about? is it a real company? have you done any research on Allied Medical Training, or spoken to any graduates of their courses? Spoken to anyone who is in EMS, to see what their thoughts are about the program?

Does your state recognize them as an initial EMT provider? what is the company's reputation within the industry? It looks like Minnesota is where they are located, so unless your in Minnesota, it might be a waste of your time.

I know of a program that runs a mostly online paramedic program, one that will let you test for paramedic once you complete their course. And there are several EMS directors that will cancel you entry level interview and assessment center once they learn you went through their program, regardless of if you have your P card or not. So is it really worth it? you decide.

OP
OP
T

TMJR

Forum Ride Along
Yes, to all of your questions. Not that this means anything to you by any means, but I am a former Superintendent of Schools, so I pretty much always do my research. You do have to go to Minnesota for a week to complete the practical skills. However, I did check with my regional EMS Director (a former board member of mine), and he said as long as they are accredited, and they are accredited by CAPCE, it's good to go. Plus since he is the regional director, he told me that I could take my practical skills here rather than travel to Minnesota and pay an additional $1250. I was an EMT for a few years, but once I became Superintendent, there was no time to do anything---except meetings---which in many cases were 3-4 nights a week. Unfortunately, I let my training lapse, and I could slap myself every time I think about it. Now that I am retired, I am bored to death and want to give back and do some things, but I need a major refresher because it has been about 15 years since I did any EMT work.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I don't have specific information on the program you mention, but I say go for it.

You previously were an EMT, you should have no problem doing a predominantly online course.

I think @DrParasite is right about many online programs, but I don't see it being an issue here.

As someone who is looking to start an online program in the near future I'd love to hear your experience/review when you finish the program.

Good luck!

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
My online paramedic program so far has been great. I mean of course you have to go in person for skills and all that but I liked doing didactic online. I was able to re watch lectures on subjects I had a hard time grasping.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Awesome, you already did your research, which is more than many who ask similar questions do.

If you have already completed an EMT class and let it expire, and have it in writing from your state's EMS office that once you complete their program online, your state will give you a local EMT card (or allow you to test for a local EMT certification), and it's cheap, than go for it.

I'd be hesitant if you had never been involved in EMS before, however if you were previously certified, than an online "refresher" is a great option, provided if will allow you to accomplish your goals (becoming certified in your home state).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes for you!

OP
OP
T

TMJR

Forum Ride Along
My online paramedic program so far has been great. I mean of course you have to go in person for skills and all that but I liked doing didactic online. I was able to re watch lectures on subjects I had a hard time grasping.
What school are you doing your paramedic program with on line?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
What school are you doing your paramedic program with on line?

NMETC out of West bridgewater, MA. Only issue I have so far is getting a filed internship due to company they had a contract with recently going out of business. But they have plenty of contracts around the country ( except LOs Angeles area where I am). I'm going to end up just making a trip out of it and going out to Boston to do field time.