Older but new EMT working IFT in Dallas, is this bad for my career? Can I have a career?

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
E Tank....that is funny. Back in 94-96 era, I was working part time at an interfacility company who was always short on help (they sucked but it was extra money)....I convinced them to hire my dad who had just retired from the Air Force. It was fun working with pops...I was a paramedic, he was a driver and then the father/son dynamic...anyways, everywhere we went the staff would direct their comments to my dad. Look at him, speak to him...hand him the papers.

I was constantly correcting people and then to throw them for an even bigger loop, I would call him Dad. I never could get used to calling his first name. They were so confused!!!

Hah...to twist it even farther, a medic I worked with from Chicago would call me "dad" every now and then. Midwest deal I guess.

OP
OP
T

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
Hey I figure this question isn't worth starting a new thread for: is pre-hospital EMS the same as a 911 service? Does that mean explicitly NOT an IFT service?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hey I figure this question isn't worth starting a new thread for: is pre-hospital EMS the same as a 911 service? Does that mean explicitly NOT an IFT service?
"Prehospital EMS" is a blanket term for all ambulance services, though this is often debated as say the IFT company that "taxis" patients to and from dialysis deeming themselves as EMS.

Don't get me wrong, it is very much a necessity not only in the ambulance transport realm, but in sustaining their (the patients) life.

Now, that being said don't get caught up in the "I don't want to do IFT" thought process as some IFT patients are much sicker than someone who may call you to come lights and sirens.

My service is 60/40 scene (911) to IFT, and oftentimes the IFT patients can be much sicker.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord

I have a feeling your talking about the the required 911 experience for AMR Arlington that is always in the job posting for that opening? While the job opening says "1 year of confirmed 911 experience" AMR dose occasionally put new people on 911 Arlington with no 911 experience. They will take into account past life experiences. Apply and the worst they will say is no.

Chef

Forum Crew Member
What Ops guy said.... We have some kids that still have pacifiers!! Just a reminder... I'm a 41 yr old probie...

Depending on your shift AEMS can range from 75-95% 911. At night we might get 1-2 transfers per night.

OP
OP
T

Tunnel Cat

Forum Probie
I have a feeling your talking about the the required 911 experience for AMR Arlington that is always in the job posting for that opening?

Close. I was checking out King County Medic One's requirements. Applicants have to have 3 years "prehospital" EMS experience.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I was checking out King County Medic One's requirements. Applicants have to have 3 years "prehospital" EMS experience.
My guess is they're looking for 3 years of 911 ambulance time.

You could find some good posts on their service here, and @FLMedic311 is a KCM1 person I believe. When in doubt, you can always ask them directly.

FWIW, KCM1 is hardly like most EMS services as well.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
3 years of EMS experience, 2 of those years at the same place. Good luck. It's extremely competitive.
And apparently equivalent to "hitting the lotto":rolleyes:...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I was thinking more like a really good scratch ticket...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It is one of the better paying EMS jobs out there. It is a very well respected job. The education is outstanding.

I guess if you're selected, it is like winning the lottery.

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
KCM1 is like a mixture of Jones Town and a Beatles Concert.....

Makes the Kern County Cult look like the minor league of cults.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
KCM1 is like a mixture of Jones Town and a Beatles Concert.....

Makes the Kern County Cult look like the minor league of cults.

On what do you base this observation? Do you have any personal experience In King County...or Kern County?

Operations Guy

Supreme Overlord
On what do you base this observation? Do you have any personal experience In King County...or Kern County?

I am very familiar with Harvey and his ventures with nothing but respect. Harvey Hall is literally the last of a bread of what a good privately held Ambulance company should be. His model of what EMS is truly eye opening. I'm just surprised he never took over Liberty in Ridgecrest or Symons in Bishop, or Delano. I kinda judge privately held Ambulance companies off of his model. As far as KCM1 I have a good understanding of their business model. I just disagree with KCM1 trying to reinvent the wheel by making medics go through their own "special" medic program. It makes for less innovative and out of the box thinking for providers in my opinion. I view it as there is the wrong way, the right way, then the KCM1 way.