Old Paramedic Textbook

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I am looking for a paramedic textbook to look through over the summer until my school book store begins selling our books for this fall. I would like a fairly recent edition but it doesn't have to be the most recent. If someone has one that they would be willing to give away or sell at a reasonable price I would love to have it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I am looking for a paramedic textbook to look through over the summer until my school book store begins selling our books for this fall. I would like a fairly recent edition but it doesn't have to be the most recent. If someone has one that they would be willing to give away or sell at a reasonable price I would love to have it.

I think you'd be better served by finding out what text they use (exact ISBN), and then finding it online and purchasing it at a discount. That would give you a great opportunity to go through the book and start looking at the topics.

Selenolycus

Forum Probie
I think you'd be better served by finding out what text they use (exact ISBN), and then finding it online and purchasing it at a discount. That would give you a great opportunity to go through the book and start looking at the topics.

Agreed. The program I was in for EMT-B got all of the regular test questions from their book, so if it was in the book, and you went over the chapters and have a decent memory, you'd be able to pass the test. I imagine some schools may differ, incorporating lecture, but not the case in my class.

Added, if you get an older book, the information in it regarding certain procedures may be obsolete/antiquated.

See what book is used for your course, go on Amazon.com or Half.com or another online textbook seller, and buy it from a used seller for approximately half the price you'd pay for it new.

You can, of course, buy an additional paramedic textbook for supplementary information (something I plan to do myself when I get the money), but definitely get the one the school will be using first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Abebooks.com is another good site... I shopped around last fall and got my A&P text for 1/3 what it would have cost at school... then I had to buy the lab manual... which negated the discount over the bundled pack :( - they've got to stick me somehow!

OP
OP
GonnaBeEMT

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
I found a fairly new 5 book set from Brady..... the books that my school uses. Actually my neighbors daughter went through the medic course 2 years ago, and she still had her books. She was nice enough to let me borrow them for the summer to look over until I get my own set when the school begins selling books for the fall. :)

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i'll offer you a word of caution:

certainly perusing the material before the class is a good idea. but i would recommend that you dont show up the first day spouting off answers. keep up with the rest of the class. reserve your "extra knowledge" for test time.

just my thoughts on the matter....

OP
OP
GonnaBeEMT

GonnaBeEMT

Forum Crew Member
i'll offer you a word of caution:

certainly perusing the material before the class is a good idea. but i would recommend that you dont show up the first day spouting off answers. keep up with the rest of the class. reserve your "extra knowledge" for test time.

just my thoughts on the matter....

I agree with you.... I'm not a good "know it all" anyway. And knowing my instructor, he would put me in my place pretty fast.