ok, i need help

Sasha

Forum Chief
I just saw where you lived, we both live in Florida! Totally NOT a prereq by state standards. Find another school, there are plenty out there.

Look into City College, there is one in Gainesville and City College has the largest and most sucessful EMS program in the state. There are four campuses, Gainesville, Jacksonville, Miami and Orlando, and they have the highest first run NREMT pass rate PLUS the best overall student/teacher ratio. Its pricey because it is private but it is totally worth it (Can you tell where I go? :p)

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
As far as using correct grammar and spelling, I noticed the two posters that mentioned it used incorrect puntuation. And, one of them even ended a sentence with a preposition. As I learned in the Army, you cannot correct someone without being correct yourself.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As far as using correct grammar and spelling, I noticed the two posters that mentioned it used incorrect puntuation. And, one of them even ended a sentence with a preposition. As I learned in the Army, you cannot correct someone without being correct yourself.

Wow!.. You just now noticing it... It was discussed to death.

R/r 911

John E

Forum Captain
hmmm....

you misspelled punctuation...

carry on

John E

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Wow!.. You just now noticing it... It was discussed to death.

R/r 911

I don't always have the time to read every post. And, as far as my spelling, I do make the occasional mistake. However, I wasn't correcting anyone. I was only pointing out that you shouldn't correct someone and then make a similar mistake in your very next sentence. I didn't mention spelling. Only PUNCTUATION and grammar. Generally, I don't make spelling errors.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
Upon further review, I did mention spelling. My error. I stand corrected and apologize. However, I am more than willing to go head to head on spelling with anyone on this site.

Last edited by a moderator:

John E

Forum Captain
just pokin a little fun...

Having said that, if a person can't write a simple paragraph on a web forum without multiple mistakes in spelling, grammar, and the dreaded punctuation, how do they think they're going to survive a college level paramedic class?

Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular but the overall level of writing skill in this forum is pretty bad for a group of people claiming to be health care professionals.

I've heard and read all of the arguments about spelling and the web, spare me the lame excuses. Without good communication skills, you'll never survive in the real world where hospital administrators and college professors expect to see simple literacy. It doesn't matter how good you think your clinical skills are.

John E

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I can go toe to toe with the best. Those that have been in graduate school understand that thesis are usually picked apart from professors grading upon grammar, spelling and using such formats as APA and many others. I personally feel forums should be relaxed but should be strong enough to be able to be read and fully understood.

Yes, I am guilty. I have been the one to promote and suggest better writing techniques for many years. I have received more than one angry response. When I first entered this site, many posts were barely readable. Again, it should be somewhat relaxed, since it is nothing more than a forum but should be composed of some very basic grammar and spelling.

I agree we represent our profession. Now, I will disagree that adminstrators always have the best grammar and spelling. That is why they have adminstrative assistants for... ;)

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
My point was simply, don't correct someone unless you are correct yourself. I wasn't correcting anyone on their command of written English. Only that they were correcting someone while being incorrect.

p.s. the plural form of thesis is THESES. LOL

p.p.s. I had to proofread this a few times.

John E

Forum Captain
hmmm....

The letters P and S when used as a postscript, or "post scriptus," Latin for "after having been written", should be capitalized.

carry on...

John E

Keens

Forum Ride Along
Wow, did this thread really turn into a spell checker column? Here in Atlantic County (NJ), the only prereq for EMT-B is CPR. And back in GA I can't say I've ever heard of CFR for anything other than the lifeguards. But who knows.

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Well, when i first though about emt and paramedic as a career and stuff, i was around 15. Now i am 18 and i know i want to do something with helping ppl, thats all i want. and i am sure it is emt now. So here is my plan, i am in high school right now do to a Technicality of sorts and i will be joining a local emt explorers unit, which do lessons and ride alongs for us intrested in the field. So i hope tihs will give me some insight to the field so i can decide if i want to keep moving or not. Then at january i will start college with attending first reponder and cpr training, which will take me to may or june to finish. After that, i plan to take the emt-b course there during the summer semseter and hopefully finish in August. Then starting in the fall term, right after my emt-b cert, i can get in to the paramedic program and finsh that in the following may and when i am all done with this i should be 20 y/o.

is there any advice any of you wish to add?

I am up here in Northern California, and I had to do CFR before I could do EMT. The Community college doesnt require it, but suggests it

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I gotta weigh in on this since I used to do proofreading back in the pre-spell checker days. Being able to communicate effectively is a skill. Being willing to accept the level of mistakes I see regularly here, is a sign of low standards. So, do you want to present yourself has someone of low standards or not? Personal choice I guess.

For those who claim their dyslexia is an excuse for poor spelling, I call nonsense. I have dyslexia myself and you can find ways around the challenge.

Keens

Forum Ride Along
Kempo,

If you're talking about Humboldt, I'd heard that there are often conflicts with many of the rescuer certs especially between Arcata and Eureka. Since I wasn't directly involved with them at the time I don't know. But knowing Arcata, it wouldn't surprise me.

John E

Forum Captain
yeppers...

"I gotta weigh in on this since I used to do proofreading back in the pre-spell checker days. Being able to communicate effectively is a skill. Being willing to accept the level of mistakes I see regularly here, is a sign of low standards. So, do you want to present yourself has someone of low standards or not? Personal choice I guess.

For those who claim their dyslexia is an excuse for poor spelling, I call nonsense. I have dyslexia myself and you can find ways around the challenge."

Bossy Cow

Truer words have seldom been written here.

Like the folks complaining about money and the plight of the lowly EMT, it's about making choices for oneself in life. You can either improve yourself and the way you present yourself or you can sit around and complain about how tough you've got it. It's your choice.

John E

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Wow, did this thread really turn into a spell checker column? Here in Atlantic County (NJ), the only prereq for EMT-B is CPR. And back in GA I can't say I've ever heard of CFR for anything other than the lifeguards. But who knows.

Keens, who ya workin for in Atlantic County?
I used to be with MAES and AC EMS!

KempoEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Not Arcata, SF Bay Area

Kempo,

If you're talking about Humboldt, I'd heard that there are often conflicts with many of the rescuer certs especially between Arcata and Eureka. Since I wasn't directly involved with them at the time I don't know. But knowing Arcata, it wouldn't surprise me.

Sorry Keens,

I'm not THAT far north, in California. Im In the San Francisco Bay Area.

Keens

Forum Ride Along
Kempo,

Sorry lol. I remember people saying that and I'd always laugh to myself about SFO being "Northern" Cali, but I spent 4 years in Humboldt Bay at the CG Air Station. THAT'S north to me. lol. Take care.

BLS,

I am not employed in EMS but about to start my EMT-B course next week. I'm looking to snag a spot at AtlantiCare in EHT hopefully. But I don't know the drill as far as employment yet. I've got my medic buds looking out for me though. I was a flight mechanic at the CG Air Station in Pomona at the FAA Tech Center.

Last edited by a moderator:

airraid

Forum Ride Along
I'm in the Santa Fe program now, and yeah, you need to do CFR. You can do it in half a semester though. Get all of your application stuff in early for the program - it helps.

Whoa this is an old thread.
You must be done by now...hehe.