Oil Rig Work

ErikD

Forum Ride Along
I am currently a defense contractor and am looking to transition to oil filed work. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Are there recruiters? I am not sure of some of the terminology used. Do you generally need specialized training prior to hire?

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
MMC, TWIC and STCW if you’re vessel crew, BOSIETT and HUET regardless. So there’s like five grand with travel and lodging, and thats just off my knob if nothings changed. I havent worked off shore in a decade.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
☝He’s right, ya know. Expensive certs and training just to get qualified.

You could try for the North Slope in Alaska. Beacon has some contracts up there. 2wks on/2wks off... Give them a google search.

rigzone.com may also be helpful.

Last edited:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
BOSIETT and HUET

You DEFINITELY must have these two at a minimum. While doing these classes, you will network with many people who can give you tons of useful information.

And I strongly encourage Acadian's oil division as a "starter kit" into this line of work. They are well established, they pay ok, and you may end up staying there. However, this is a great stepping stone to secure the job, then expand your resources to find the better paying, better schedule jobs.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Checkout RMTMEDICs post from this thread in 2014. Sounds like at that time he already had almost 5 years in service with them.