Officially on the road Monday!!!

ochacon80

Forum Crew Member
I recently got hired as an EMT - B and am currently wrapping up orientation this week. Next week will be my first official week on the road with my FTO, and I am a bit nervous. Today we went over paper work, and my manager was pretty pissed off because one of the current attendants jacked up a PCR so bad, that there may be legal rammifications. I must say it was a bit intimidating to find out how thorough you have to be on these reports, and I am a little nervous at messing up my self, so much so, that I brought home some BLANK PCR's with me and am looking over the boxes. Should I be nervous?

Last edited by a moderator:

falcon-18

Forum Crew Member
you should relax, :) not nervous. try to do it in all your day . you will be

fine without nervous. :):)

you can not control with nervous. I hope you will fine. :):):)

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Take a breath, you will be fine.

Good luck.

Mishka

Forum Ride Along
Hey :) relax don't worry we've all been there. Just make sure you as thorough as you can be, you treatments match your chief complaint and don't forget your signatures. You'll be just fine in no time big guy :)

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Congratulations,not many students who graduate actually go on to make some money with their new found skill. Landing the job and getting through orientation tells alot about you and as long as you always remember your basics you should do fine. Try and learn something new everyday, and being nervous is normal and will most likely go away after your first few shifts. What type of work will you be doing, if you will be bringing patients to the ED remember to be nice to the techs. Good luck and keep us posted.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Try not to be nervous, but you'll be fine! Be nice to everyone and just calm down. Rememeber, its not YOUR emergency. Take it slow and stay safe out there.

-Wu

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
I will say something I say to all my runners (I volunteer as a high school track coach) Being nervous only shows you care, and it will all go away when it starts... just try and relax and remember the stuff you have learned in class and in orientation and you will be fine

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Good luck

:p Just remember...all emergencies are clusters. Some are better organized than others is all. ^_^ Good luck and thanks for the many years of public service ahead.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Should I be nervous?

I have had the opportunity to be an FTO, and I tell all my new folks the same thing:

Pencils have erasers for a reason; we all make mistakes from time to time.

The first time, it's experience; the second time, it's a mistake.

No one expects you to be perfect right out of the gate, that's why people who have been doing this for a long time are referred to as "experienced". Parenthetically, see previous; the term "experienced" can work both ways.

Keep your mouth shut, and your ears open. Observe and learn.

Every person you work with will be an example to you. Some good, some bad.

If you can sleep soundly, knowing you provided patient care to the best of your ability, then you probably did.

Don't be so prideful and vain that you can't go to the books and look something up if you have a question. Contrary to (seemingly) popular belief, all the pages in your textbook do not go blank when you receive your ticket.

The more you learn, the less you think you know.

Now, go forth and do good things...

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
We all make mistakes.
I wrote 'ambo pain' instead of 'abdo pain' on one of my reports.:blush: Maybe it was cause my partner was being a grump that day! lol.
Anyway it came back to the station with a, please explain, on it.
Being a legal document, we do have to be careful writing them out.

Cheers Enjoynz

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
All I've got to say is... SHAMWOW!!! :p

pljones

Forum Ride Along
ochacon80, i'm actually doin the same thing...my orientation starts on the 10th. PM me which CO you're working for (or just list it here if you want) because i'm wondering if its the same co

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I just applied to a busy 911 service that actually is hiring for a few positions. The prospect of an interview makes me so nervous I feel nauseous, in part because I am aware I have nothing going for me but an EMT-B cert and my stunning looks :rolleyes: , but almost no experience.

I can only imagine how nervous I will be if I get to the orientation. Good luck all!