sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
So in my personal opinion, there is a good type of OCD and a bad type of OCD
Good
  • Keeps station/ truck clean
  • Keeps station/ truck organized
  • Makes sure all supplies are ordered and in their proper places
Bad
  • Moves things that shouldn't be moved for personal comfort (EX. couches, clocks, TV remotes, etc)
  • Takes other people's things and changing them due to them not liking it
  • Trying to control things that are under control
  • Generally irritating actions that everyone but said person dislike

Does anyone have any personal stories with these types of people and how did you deal with the ones that aren't a good kind of OCD? And do you have any solutions (aside from talking to supervision) as to dealing with the person?

dropdeded

Forum Ride Along
The simple version.....What goes on at the station when I'm off duty, is not my business. What is turned over at crew exchange, is my business.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
The simple version.....What goes on at the station when I'm off duty, is not my business. What is turned over at crew exchange, is my business.

See thats what I would say too, but when the person is moving my stuff around I dont particularly like it

SloEd

Forum Probie
As someone who has been officially diagnosed OCD, I can tell you that nothing short of professional help will get them to stop those "bad" behaviors. They are compulsions that will cause the person great emotional distress if they are forced to go against their compulsions. As dropdeded alluded to, have you talked to this person to see if they could put things back at the end of the shift? They probably won't be able to do so.
So, your options are: 1. Encourage this person to get professional help (psychologist/ psychiatrist). Or, 2. Learn to live with the rearrangements yourself.
Moving other people's belongings without the owner's position is unacceptable and would be a legitimate thing to take to a supervisor, but this should be approached as an extra impetus for treatment, not an avenue for punishment.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant

To quote, I have no problem with "Als" in EMS. He would fall under the good type of OCD. But the person Im talking about doesn't do the things that "Al" would. In all honesty, he almost does the opposite. He is OCD about the things that suit him and if he doesn't like it, it is undone or complained about to the point where it is undone to stop the whining.

As someone who has been officially diagnosed OCD, I can tell you that nothing short of professional help will get them to stop those "bad" behaviors. They are compulsions that will cause the person great emotional distress if they are forced to go against their compulsions. As dropdeded alluded to, have you talked to this person to see if they could put things back at the end of the shift? They probably won't be able to do so.
So, your options are: 1. Encourage this person to get professional help (psychologist/ psychiatrist). Or, 2. Learn to live with the rearrangements yourself.
Moving other people's belongings without the owner's position is unacceptable and would be a legitimate thing to take to a supervisor, but this should be approached as an extra impetus for treatment, not an avenue for punishment.

Thats what I was kind of afraid of hearing, because he refuses to admit that he A. is wrong in any way and B. that he has a problem. Basically he tells us we need to just stop complaining and just conform to his way. I have tried talking to him several times since I've known hi, and he is about as thick as they come. totally unwilling to take any type of advice, criticism or try anything new. I was hoping to avoid going to supervision because I think station problems should stay at the station if possible, but they're almost forcing my hand.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
So in my personal opinion, there is a good type of OCD and a bad type of OCD

There's "OCD" in the sense of "I care so much that I'll take my own time to make sure if it gets done" and then there's OCD, as in, "I'm going to clean the truck, take a 15 minute break, then clean the truck, take a 15 minute break, then clean the truck..."

The first isn't OCD, the second is a major psychological problem.

SloEd

Forum Probie
To JPINFV's point, the clinical distinction between actual OCD and just someone who so neat, organized and professional, is if that person wastes more than 30 minutes a day. (And obviously having the obsessions behind the behaviors.)
It sounds like the OP should take it to a supervisor since more gently routes have been tried. Another option is to bring see if the problem individual has a mentor or pastor, etc. who can impress upon the problem individual the need for treatment.

OP
OP
S

sneauxpod

Forum Lieutenant
There's "OCD" in the sense of "I care so much that I'll take my own time to make sure if it gets done" and then there's OCD, as in, "I'm going to clean the truck, take a 15 minute break, then clean the truck, take a 15 minute break, then clean the truck..."

The first isn't OCD, the second is a major psychological problem.

All of us but the one person is like the first way. So maybe hes not OCD, just a stubborn donkey?

To JPINFV's point, the clinical distinction between actual OCD and just someone who so neat, organized and professional, is if that person wastes more than 30 minutes a day. (And obviously having the obsessions behind the behaviors.)
It sounds like the OP should take it to a supervisor since more gently routes have been tried. Another option is to bring see if the problem individual has a mentor or pastor, etc. who can impress upon the problem individual the need for treatment.

That last one might work, but I think the easiest fix might be supervision at this point.

New Question:

Anyone ever tried giving the person a taste of their own medicine? If so, how did that go?

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief