O2 Tanks In Cold.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
And THAT would be why I am not a science major. FAIL. apologies.

Scout

Para-Noid
Whats cold?

And TBH I'd worry about other stuff before O2 became a concern. Drugs Engine etc....

redcrossemt

Forum Asst. Chief
And THAT would be why I am not a science major. FAIL. apologies.

LOL!

You can't really heat oxygen easily in any useful way, but you can definitely heat an oxygen-enriched air mix usefully by keeping it humidified and warming the water there. The Res-Q-Air is one such product that does that... I've seen it used for Wilderness SAR transport. The air that comes out of it is definitely humidified and warm. (It's not really practical outside of a vehicle, though.)

Regarding storage of trucks outside, it's fairly common here in Metro Detroit. Our remote station based (primary 911) trucks are parked inside at stations. Our 12-hour trucks are parked under an awning with shore power for a block heater and battery charger. Our medications, IV fluids, etc. are taken inside at the end of each shift. I know that many companies also use their rear compartment heaters and leave all of the equipment in the truck.

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
<I>May I ask why you bought an O2 tank?</I>

It was cheap, LOL.

But what got me looking for one in the first place was I was on my way home from best buy and there was apparently an accident. In most cases, I don’t stop, unless someone is seriously hurt. (I mean, come on, 911 will be there in a few minutes.) But this one I did.

There was a small kid in the middle of the road, apparently hit by a car, with a pool of blood under him, coming seemingly from his head.

An off-duty nurse pulled over with me. He had his ABCs, but wouldn’t ackowledge us in the slightest. Just groaned. So we basically could only control bleeding and hold Cspine.

Normally I have some medical stuff in my car, but I recently took it out to inventory it. And I kept thinking of things I could do. I went on ebay to find jump bags (I’d been planning on doing this anyway, the event just encouraged me to do it that day) and I saw an O2 tank. Had I had that, I coulda’ popped the kid on some O2.

Had it not been a kid, I probably wouldn’t have taken it as seriously. He couldn’t have been more than 9…10 at the most. (I have a soft spot for kids.) So I almost didn’t get it. I was like “When am I ever gonna really need it?” which I answered with “On days like today?” I wasn’t gonna drop a whole bunch of money on it, but it was less than fifty bucks…so…

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
<I>May I ask why you bought an O2 tank?</I>

It was cheap, LOL.

But what got me looking for one in the first place was I was on my way home from best buy and there was apparently an accident. In most cases, I don’t stop, unless someone is seriously hurt. (I mean, come on, 911 will be there in a few minutes.) But this one I did.

There was a small kid in the middle of the road, apparently hit by a car, with a pool of blood under him, coming seemingly from his head.

An off-duty nurse pulled over with me. He had his ABCs, but wouldn’t ackowledge us in the slightest. Just groaned. So we basically could only control bleeding and hold Cspine.

Normally I have some medical stuff in my car, but I recently took it out to inventory it. And I kept thinking of things I could do. I went on ebay to find jump bags (I’d been planning on doing this anyway, the event just encouraged me to do it that day) and I saw an O2 tank. Had I had that, I coulda’ popped the kid on some O2.

Had it not been a kid, I probably wouldn’t have taken it as seriously. He couldn’t have been more than 9…10 at the most. (I have a soft spot for kids.) So I almost didn’t get it. I was like “When am I ever gonna really need it?” which I answered with “On days like today?” I wasn’t gonna drop a whole bunch of money on it, but it was less than fifty bucks…so…

Though what you did was definitely admirable, you need to make sure that you know about the laws in your area. Keep in mind that oxygen, though it may not seem like it, is a drug. And if you are giving a drug while not attached to a service, you could have some legal issues. And remember, you should put the same effort into both adults and children.

Also, just make sure to keep yourself safe out there. Don't get injured or killed because you stopped at an accident scene.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
<I>Though what you did was definitely admirable, you need to make sure that you know about the laws in your area.</I>

Going through all the proper channels. =P

<I>And remember, you should put the same effort into both adults and children.</I>

I do. And, to be fair, if it was an adult in that situation I probably would have still stopped. But that was my first legit peds trauma, so it kinda’ stuck with me. I don’t treat kids different than adults, but they effect me differently. (Which, to my understanding, is pretty common.)

<I>Also, just make sure to keep yourself safe out there. Don't get injured or killed because you stopped at an accident scene.</I>

Oh, always. First rule; scene safety. =P I used my POV on an angle to block the scene as best I could (considering it’s only a mustang) and moved it when I heard the sirens coming close to the rig to park there.

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
In FL, we keep them outside too. Although it get so cold here we have to warm them up by the fire to make sure their ready...lol

VentMedic

Forum Chief
<Oh, always. First rule; scene safety. =P I used my POV on an angle to block the scene as best I could (considering it’s only a mustang) and moved it when I heard the sirens coming close to the rig to park there.

You have now created more obstruction in the road that can cause another MVC and death. If you were on duty and some lay person had done that you would probably be screaming at the top of your lungs at what an idiot they are.

http://firefighterclosecalls.com/fullstory.php?98816

I>May I ask why you bought an O2 tank?</I>

It was cheap, LOL.

Has this tank been inspected? Do you have records for it? Did it previously contain medical grade gas? Or, was it a welding tank or one at some O2 bar? Does it have a fixed liter flow? Do you have a written protocol from your medical director or sponsoring agency to administer O2?

Where did you buy your O2 tank? EBay? Used or New? If used and from some place like Ebay, what are the chances this is stolen property?

OP
OP
T

TornWingedAngel1

Forum Crew Member
<I>You have now created more obstruction in the road that can cause another MVC and death. If you were on duty and some lay person had done that you would probably be screaming at the top of your lungs at what an idiot they are.</I>

Nah. It wasn’t blatantly in the middle of the road. Kind of angled. Along with the other four cars that pulled aside, LOL. Weather conditions were fine. No fog, no icy roads, no rain. Just dry cold.

Basically the scene was almost boxed in. I park my car in toward the scene, with the tail end sticking out, so the one part that was open wasn’t anymore. I know that’s not a very good explanation, as it’s hard to explain. There was also an on-duty police officer helping to direct traffic and control the scene while me and the off-duty nurse tended to the pt.

<I>Has this tank been inspected? Do you have records for it? Did it previously contain medical grade gas? Or, was it a welding tank or one at some O2 bar? Does it have a fixed liter flow? Do you have a written protocol from your medical director or sponsoring agency to administer O2?

Where did you buy your O2 tank? EBay? Used or New? If used and from some place like Ebay, what are the chances this is stolen property?</I>

Yes to most of that. It was a brand-new tank with proper liter flow from a medical supply store.

Like I said, I’m going through all the proper channels for it, haha.

18G

Paramedic
I own my own O2 bottle. I bought in new from Galls many years ago. It came in handy a few times. I've left my O2 bottle in the trunk many winters and have not noticed any problems with it.

My only concern is what the extreme cold may do to the metal in the regulator over time. Will it cause some calibration issues with proper liter flow? I'm not sure. I no longer keep it in my vehicle anymore, however.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I own my own O2 bottle. I bought in new from Galls many years ago. It came in handy a few times. I've left my O2 bottle in the trunk many winters and have not noticed any problems with it.

My only concern is what the extreme cold may do to the metal in the regulator over time. Will it cause some calibration issues with proper liter flow? I'm not sure. I no longer keep it in my vehicle anymore, however.

If you're concerned about the metal, make sure your bottle gets a hydrostatic test every 3/5 years, as required.

18G

Paramedic
Im not worried about the bottle.. Im worried about the regulator. They don't hydro test regulators.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No, but they function test them. Just about any dive shop, or whoever does the hydro can do a functional test on the regulator-- essentially measuring the literflow output.

Ultimately, as long as your maintain your seals/o-rings (remember, never with petroleum based lubrication), the effects of metal fatigue on the first (and second) stage should be minimal.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
No, but they function test them. Just about any dive shop, or whoever does the hydro can do a functional test on the regulator-- essentially measuring the literflow output.

But if they are bypassing the proper channels to get tanks filled at other than a medical gas place and then holding it out to be medicinal quality, they are going to be in a deep mess and more than just their cert will be at stake.

18G

Paramedic
Why would you think anyone would buy an oxygen bottle and even consider getting it filled with anything other than medical grade O2? I've filled mine with the O2 cascade system at the department I used to work and have taken it to a place that deals strictly with medical oxygen supply.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Why would you think anyone would buy an oxygen bottle and even consider getting it filled with anything other than medical grade O2? I've filled mine with the O2 cascade system at the department I used to work and have taken it to a place that deals strictly with medical oxygen supply.

Many people don't know the definition or the requirements of medical grade O2.

You have it in writing that the medical director of the department you used to work for allows you to administer O2 while off duty to whomever you feel like it? How do you document that?

Is your department keeping records and will they be responsible for your tank if something happens to you or the patient?

If this was actually legit, you wouldn't be filling your tank at a department that you used to work for.