NYC Incite

Mario876

Forum Probie
Im from New York City and about to embark on the life of a EMT (that's if I pass my exam in a few weeks) but I have some many questions about the job and the different company's to apply for that it's beginning to get me unease about the whole thing. After listening to the recerts in my class in addition with my gathered information I've began to question been an EMT.

Other than the pay the private companies EMTs don't get no respect not even from most patients......just asking for some charity

phideux

Forum Captain
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
First, are you doing the job for the respect and how it looks or are you doing it because it is something you want to do? Second, EMTs in the NYC area are a dime a dozen so you will have to start with the privates and do NH transport and renal round up. As unsexy as it sounds, it is the greatest learning opportunity you will have in EMS. Take the time to read the chart of the pt being discharged from the hospital to the nursing home. Do a little self-education on the diseases that there people were admitted or seen in the ER for. You will never get that education or feedback doing 911. You can also volley on LI or upstate. Most people that work in the 911 system started in the privates or vollies.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Why are you trying to incite something? And what kind of charity are you wanting?
Oh, and it's 'private company's EMTs do not recieve any respect' leave the ebonics at home.

OP
OP
Mario876

Mario876

Forum Probie
Why are you trying to incite something? And what kind of charity are you wanting?
Oh, and it's 'private company's EMTs do not recieve any respect' leave the ebonics at home.
Your the one who need to left at home trying to jump at me with some race **** ........if I didn't pronounce my word or phrase right all you gotta correct me not try to put me down

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
You're* the one who needs* to be* left at home,* trying to jump at me with some race crap. If I didn't pronounce my word or phrase correctly,* all you have to do is * correct me,* not try to put me down.

Also, where was race mentioned by anyone?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Communication is a huge part of our job, communicating with patients, nurses, doctors, fellow EMS personnel, etc. If your written communication is poor enough people have to ask for clarification due to poor spelling and/or grammer, that's on you, not us. Are you going to get all defensive when your supervisor sits you down because no one can read your PCR (which is a legal document)? Remember, sloppy reports are held as evidence of sloppy patient care.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
You're* the one who needs* to be* left at home,* trying to jump at me with some race crap. If I didn't pronounce my word or phrase correctly,* all you have to do is * correct me,* not try to put me down.

Also, where was race mentioned by anyone?
I believe it was my mention of ebonics that set the lad off.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Thanks Chewy. I nearly sprayed coffee everywhere...

OP
OP
Mario876

Mario876

Forum Probie
Communication is a huge part of our job, communicating with patients, nurses, doctors, fellow EMS personnel, etc. If your written communication is poor enough people have to ask for clarification due to poor spelling and/or grammer, that's on you, not us. Are you going to get all defensive when your supervisor sits you down because no one can read your PCR (which is a legal document)? Remember, sloppy reports are held as evidence of sloppy patient care.
Your right, I got defensive when he mentioned "ebonics". That wasn't professional not all, he should have highlighted my errors/ bad grammar not make an assumption about my ethnicity.

OP
OP
Mario876

Mario876

Forum Probie
I believe it was my mention of ebonics that set the lad off.
I'm just here to learn without any sort of Critique. I really respect you guys and the job you do that's why I'm trying to follow in the field of work, so I apologize if I was out of line earlier.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Yeah, that ebonics comment was telling. Transport jockey, your racism is showing.
Considering it's a commonly used term in my 90% African American response area with no offense taken by any party, I honestly did not realize some would take offense to the term ebonics.

I'm just here to learn without any sort of Critique. I really respect you guys and the job you do that's why I'm trying to follow in the field of work, so I apologize if I was out of line earlier.

No worries. Just remember how you come across in either the spoken or written word is how you are taken. In person there's some extra leeway. Good luck with everything

Last edited:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Considering it's a commonly used term in my 90% African American response area with no offense taken by any party, I honestly did not realize some would take offense to the term ebonics.
Same here. Wouldn't have guessed.

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief

Nothing about his grammar sounded like prototypical "ebonics". You saw a black poster and inappropriately and improperly ascribed his poor grammar & spelling to a black dialect. You would not have said ebonics if you did not know he was black. That is what makes it racist. Anyhow, live and learn.

Also, a great example of the obliviousness of my fellow white people - someone uses a race-related term, but someone (Chewy) doesn't know "where" race was mentioned. *Facepalm*

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
Does anyone want to mention Hitler so we can invoke Godwin's Law and shut this thread down? Otherwise, I can feel for the OP in regards to what he is saying about privates in the NY area. They were always looked at as second class, despite the fact that most of the people in the 911 system did the privates first. Sept 11 is always significant for them but they seem to forget that the privates were also at WTC, right next to the 911 guys and MetroCare even lost an EMT that day. Always remember where you came from, which is why I am not as quick to blast EMS crews when they do something that doesn't quite make sense. I remember the education (or lack of) at that level and having to follow protocols.

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm still wondering what the OP's original questions were. He made a couple of statements of things he heard in class, asked if that was true, and then didn't really ask any questions from what I observed. Although it does seem this thread has gone off topic and into another direction of who is being mean to the OP and others again.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Never had a patient treat me differently because I was working Private service rather than 911: patients do NOT know or realize there is a difference.