NYC EMS AND FACIAL HAIR?!

DhoEMS

Forum Probie
Are there any 911 EMS companies in NYC that accept facial hair due to religious concerns?
I would like to work for a hospital and not a transport service such as SeniorCare. Does NYU or Mount Sinia allow beards for Paramedics? Not a long beard. Maybe about an inch or two in length? Thanks in advance!!
I would like to know this before I decide to attend medic school as a career!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I didn't know any expressly forbade it.

Maybe you should call the companies you want to work for and ask what their facial hair policy is?

OP
OP
D

DhoEMS

Forum Probie
I didn't know any expressly forbade it.

Maybe you should call the companies you want to work for and ask what their facial hair policy is?

Ya I am unsure. I know a medic who works for FDNY and he has to be completely shaven for OSHA mask seal regulations. I don't know whether or not hospital based EMS has the same policy. But thanks man! I have no idea why it never crossed my mind to call them haha

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
My guess is you have to be able to get a seal on a N95, but just yesterday saw two guys on an Ambulife ambulance in LA rocking full beards, so you never know.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If you are Jewish Hatzolah probably would let you.

DrParasite

If you are Jewish Hatzolah probably would let you.
I'm not sure if that was meant to be a cheap shot at hatzolah or not....

But if you want to be a firefighter in DC, full beards are permitted...
Ya I am unsure. I know a medic who works for FDNY and he has to be completely shaven for OSHA mask seal regulations. I don't know whether or not hospital based EMS has the same policy. But thanks man! I have no idea why it never crossed my mind to call them haha
and FYI, nowhere in the OSHA standard does it require you to be clean shaven.... all it says is that you must be able to get a seal while wearing a mask. If you don't believe me, ask where exactly it says you must be clean shave; I have a copy of the standard (got it during confined space rescue class), and after reading it cover to cover, it doesn't say anything about mandating clean shaveness to wear a mask

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
If it's a religious issue than you should be fine. Granted it it isn't NYFD but here in Houston waivers are allowed for verifiable religious reasons.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I'm not sure if that was meant to be a cheap shot at hatzolah or not....
Not really. They do some odd things at times but are really the only EMS agency that I know would allow beards. Though I'm sure many would.

OP
OP
D

DhoEMS

Forum Probie
Thank you guys for your response! I did think that being clean shaven was an OSHA requirement and it seems that I am wrong. AND yeahhh Hatzolah is one EMS company that I see allows facial hair openly. However, I am not jewish. That does not mean I am not willing to work for them!! I just hope that companies such as NYU and Northshore LIJ allows an inch or two of facial hair. Thanks again guys!! I really want to work as a 911 Critical Care Paramedic and it would be a shame if I couldn't do to my religion as I take my religion seriously. Thanks again guys for giving me some advice!!

DrParasite

Not really. They do some odd things at times but are really the only EMS agency that I know would allow beards. Though I'm sure many would.
the director of my first full time hospital based EMS agency had a full beard, and it was one of the more reputable agencies in the NJ (at the time, things have deteriorated in recent years). Quite a few of our Jewish employees had beards too (the director wasn't).

the director of my NY college EMS agency (who was a full time paramedic) had a full beard, despite rules that said it wasn't allowed (he was a shining example of do as I say, not as I do).

the best thing to do is to call them (anonymously, if you don't want it to affect your chances of employment) and ask what their specific policy was,

graycord

Forum Crew Member
Are there any 911 EMS companies in NYC that accept facial hair due to religious concerns?
I would like to work for a hospital and not a transport service such as SeniorCare. Does NYU or Mount Sinia allow beards for Paramedics? Not a long beard. Maybe about an inch or two in length? Thanks in advance!!
I would like to know this before I decide to attend medic school as a career!

Do you live in NYC? I've seen employees with beards in just about every uniform. Highly unlikely that you'd be denied employment, but it would be a real shame if something were to happen in a situation that could have been prevented by shaving.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
So, in my experience with AMR, it's sort of self reported during the FIT test.

I could put the N95 on my forehead, and then say, "nope, I don't taste or smell anything" and pass. Myself, I took the test(s) seriously because I want the N95 to do it's thing when it's asked to...