Nurse refuses to perform CPR on elderly woman

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I guess the one in question is "DNR Abbey"?

Having just helped my surviving parent move into an assisted living facility, it's a whole different culture and while the company may offer what you want, they aren't in it for your love. Nor for their employees'.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I am by no means a "we must save every life" type of paramedic. I am by all means a "everyone deserves to die with dignity" type of person. Lying on the ground, gasping like a fish out of water, while some imbecile hems and haws on the phone about "I'm not comfortable doing that" is not dying with dignity. Having a proper DNR in place before this event occurs and having your wishes observed is dying with dignity, even if the two situations played out the exact same way!.

I agree everyone who doesnt want these type of measures should have a DNR, and I understand your point about these facilities having this type of policy. However I still fail to see how doing chest compressions would have resulted in this woman dying with dignity and eased her suffering, most likely it would have done the exact opposite. As for what else this "nurse" performed beyond CPR, we dont really know do we? All we know is she said she was not comfortable doing CPR on this patient against her facilities policy and possibly against the wishes of the patient.

She was on scene and with the patient, possibly knew the patients medical history, wishes, and current situation better than the dispatcher who was barking orders at her, and who apparently thought it would be a good idea to have an untrained elderly resident perform CPR instead. I mean what could possibly go wrong there? Why not give another old lady a heart attack in almost certainly futile CPR.

I also have to say the dispatcher did not impress me at all after listening to the entire call. She immediately is interrupting the caller, asking one question then cutting them off mid answer to ask something else. Shes the one who seems overly emotional and unprofessional from start to finish, not exactly the person I'd want on the phone directing me in a crises. Hopefully shes new at the job.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Family seems to be okay with the decision to withhold CPR.

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x837006764/Family-We-dont-intend-to-sue-Glenwood-Gardens

The family of an elderly woman whose death ignited a wave of anger after a nurse at her senior living community refused to give CPR released a statement Tuesday saying they have no plans to sue.

Lorraine Bayless' family said she "personally selected" Glenwood Gardens independent living facility in Bakersfield knowing there were not "trained medical staff" and that she wanted to "die naturally...without any kind of life-prolonging intervention."

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
TAke THAT, tabloid press!