Nremt

pghboy2011

Forum Probie
Hey, all!

So, I'm a new EMT, I'm thinking about doing the NREMT, just because it seems to be more comprehensive than state testing, so it's a good learning tool (re:studying for it), and I just want to do it for my own satisfaction....

Outside of that, and it probably making it easier to transfer between states, does anyone know of any additional benefits that may come along with having an NREMT Certification?

Also, is it practical AND written, or just written?

Last edited by a moderator:

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It's an excellent idea to go NREMT. If you ever move out of state and want to bring your EMT cert with you then you'll more than likely have to be NREMT certified. Better to do it now and keep it up than wait a bunch of years.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey, all!

So, I'm a new EMT, I'm thinking about doing the NREMT, just because it seems to be more comprehensive than state testing, so it's a good learning tool (re:studying for it), and I just want to do it for my own satisfaction....

Outside of that, and it probably making it easier to transfer between states, does anyone know of any additional benefits that may come along with having an NREMT Certification?

Also, is it practical AND written, or just written?

Where do you live? NR requires you complete a state-sanctioned EMT course and State practical exam in order to be eligible for the CBT/CAT exam... within the last two years. If you've done that, you're eligible...

OP
OP
P

pghboy2011

Forum Probie
Where do you live? NR requires you complete a state-sanctioned EMT course and State practical exam in order to be eligible for the CBT/CAT exam... within the last two years. If you've done that, you're eligible...

Thank you, but yes, I just got my state cert in PA.

I'm just curious of what all testing you need to do for NREMT cert.
Is it just written? Or is it practical, too?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Thank you, but yes, I just got my state cert in PA.

I'm just curious of what all testing you need to do for NREMT cert.
Is it just written? Or is it practical, too?

If you have completed your EMT course in the last two years, and completed a state-sanctioned practical exam, you apply, and they verify your application status, then should direct you to take the CBT/CAT, although this process of verification may take a few days or weeks.

https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/reg_basic_history.asp#Entry_Requirements

workworkwork

Forum Probie
nremt isn't always necessary, for instance NY just wants a payment and proof that you need the state license (i.e. in state address) if you know where your going, check out the state requirements, I was going to check out chicago but the state of IL doesn't recognize NREMT, or at least last I checked.

side note, i've heard from a few different sources the biggest mistake people make on the nremt exam is going too fast, misreading questions (i.e. hypo, hyper) remembering your assessment order (too many times i marked the answer that was appropriate but overlooked scene safety/bsi as the obvious beginning etc.)