NREMT-P job oppritunities in CO

Masteinhaus

Forum Ride Along
Hey Guys

Haven't been on here in a while, but the few times I have, I've always gotton some great and insightful advice.

I'm an NREMT-P, licensed in IL, TX, and soon to be CO.

I was hoping to get personal experience from some of you guys about the private ambulance companies in Colorado. More specifically, the CO Springs and Denver areas. I'm looking to move out to CO soon, and would hope to have a job lined up first beforehand. I understand AMR is one of the bigger ones out there, but the few big questions I have are:

Pay - what's the pay rate for medics for some of the companies?

911 coverage - Any privates cover the EMS side of departments? Are there certain companies that run some/none/all emergency calls? (I've been running emergency calls for certain contracts my current company has, and would prefer to continue running emergency calls, not transfers.)

Getting on to a Dept. - I live in Chicago-land area, and getting onto a department is... close to impossible without either knowing someone, or being able to pay for fire academy yourself. Any easier in CO??

Thanks for any feedback guys, stay safe out there

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'm currently living in Colorado, but may actually move away due to difficulties in finding a job right now. That being said, Poudre Valley Hospital EMS in Fort Collins (one hr north of Denver) may be hiring a bunch of medics in the next few months. AMR in Colorado Springs isn't hiring now, but may soon. I wouldn't recommend working with Rural Metro in Aurora under any circumstances. Northglenn Ambulance just hired but may be hiring more soon.

Pay for medics is pretty good up north, less so for privates in the Denver Metro area. Denver Health runs all 911 for city and county of Denver, but some privates (AMR, ActionCare, Northglenn) run 911 overflow for them. Northglenn has the sole 911 contract for Commerce City as well. Poudre Valley is the sole 911 and transfer provider in Fort Collins, but you get around 75% 911 up there. Thompson Valley EMS is another good provider to work for up in Loveland (45 minutes from Denver), and they do all 911 with occasional transfers.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Getting an FD job out here is about as hard as it is anywhere else. If you have any experience and will be in the Denver Metro area I'd skip the privates altogether and apply to DH. Much better pay, 911 only.