NREMT-EMR Recertification

Searcher Smith

Forum Ride Along
Hello everybody!

I am new here, stumbled upon this place from Google trying to find some information. I hope you don't mind asking some silly questions.

I am a WFR (Wilderness First Responder) and Certified NREMT-EMR. I am due for my first recertification with NREMT and boy-howdy am I lost and confused.

I have taken my WFR recertification, and obtained my CE credits for that. I have also recertified my provider-level CPR and have credits for that. What I seem to be missing is CE for Children/Childbirth (or Pediatric and Obstetrics). Under the traditional recertification model (which I am still eligible for), I need 1 CE in this area. However, when I go in search of CE courses, I find many topics with many hours of education.

So, being the new guy on the block who hasn't done this. When NREMT says I need:

Childbirth & Children 1 hour
Roles and Responsibilities:
Obstetrical Emergencies, Gynecological Emergencies, Childbirth and Complications, Care of the Newborn, Assessing the Pediatric Patient, Medical Emergencies in Pediatric Patients, Airway Management in Pediatric Patients, Trauma Emergencies and Care in Pediatric Patients​

Do I need CE to cover every topic, or do I just need 1 CE of any of these topics?

Please be kind to the rookie, and thank you in advance for your help.

Josh

Summit

Critical Crazy
Under the traditional model, 1 hour covering any or several of those topics will suffice. It doesn't have to cover the entire breadth of the subject matter. The new model breaks things down into bitty-bits because the past was broad.

Good on you for doing your CEs. Most WFRs choose to take a recert class because it keeps their PMS stronger since most of them don't practice regularly and few bother to keep the NREMT-EMR as there are very few entities that require it specifically as separate from your WFR. You can find EMR->EMT courses.

OP
OP
Searcher Smith

Searcher Smith

Forum Ride Along
Thank you, Summit. I am with a local SAR team, and due to a few medical hardships, my paperwork for state EMR has been held up. I needed to get this all recertified to continue that path. Hopefully, by next re-cert, I will be associated with frequent ongoing CEs and coursework and this will all be easier. While I would most likely enjoy moving up to WEMT, at this time I do not know if my paid-job and pocketbook can afford the classes.

Oh, the joys of being a volunteer!