NPA or OPA

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If you don't think every patient that you are bagging requires an OPA you might need to go back to EMT-basic school. That is the most basic skill, and can make a different between a adequate and inadequate ventilation.

First...if I can maintain an airway without an OPA, so be it. It's an adjunct to help, not a necessity.

Second... Being closed minded and saying "OPA OPA OPA" and ignoring other tools such as NPAs, Kings, ETTs, NTTs, surgical and needle crics, shows that you still have a ways to go in education.

Honestly, if given the choice between an OPA and NPA, I'd choose the NPA. I've placed more NPAs than OPAs in my career.

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Ditto. Can't even remember the last time I used an OPA. Use NPAs all the time. Get past the basic school mentality.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If you don't think every patient that you are bagging requires an OPA you might need to go back to EMT-basic school. That is the most basic skill, and can make a different between a adequate and inadequate ventilation.

You fail to understand TRUE airway management. I suggest reading Dr. Walls book. That is all.

lampnyter

Forum Captain

Lol ok. Thats why everybody agrees with me.

bluefinmedic

Forum Probie
You keep saying EVERY pt. That's where I disagree.

Contraindications?

Better choices?

Patient unconscious but throwing up or having a lot of salivation u need to keep suctioning.

There could be better choices esp if you are a medic like your sn implies.

I was referring to bagging an unconscious patient. It seemed like from the original posters question they were referring to npa vs. opa in these types of patients. Obviously there are better methods to secure an airway, but when it comes to basics there is no better option.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I was referring to bagging an unconscious patient. It seemed like from the original posters question they were referring to npa vs. opa in these types of patients. Obviously there are better methods to secure an airway, but when it comes to basics there is no better option.

What if you unconscious patient still retains a gag reflex? Or is clenched? Or is doing a bang up job of maintaining airway tone but yet requires some ventilatory assistance (massively unlikely I know)?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

I think a lot of the debate is coming from the fact that the tone of your original post seemed to say that an OPA is a universal tool for airway management. It kind of failed to recognize that it's not just an adjunct that can cover the basis of all situations in which in unresponsive patient needs to be bagged.

bluefinmedic

Forum Probie
I think a lot of the debate is coming from the fact that the tone of your original post seemed to say that an OPA is a universal tool for airway management. It kind of failed to recognize that it's not just an adjunct that can cover the basis of all situations in which in unresponsive patient needs to be bagged.

Someone close this post before it gets stupid in here.

reaper

Working Bum
New basics come here to learn. You cannot make a blanket statement and then when everyone challenges your answer, you don't like it.

An OPA is not needed in every unresponsive pt that needs ventilation assistance. You need to assess your pt and use what is needed.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

Now was that really necessary? I made a non-confrontational statement about the possible cause of debate and you come back with that kind of a response. You might want to take a look in the mirror before you say something like that again, because it is a post such as that that really shows you lack the intellect to make an intelligent, PRODUCTIVE post.

EDIT: sticking to my advice about a productive post I will reiterate, what reaper said. Don't throw an OPA in every patient, take the time to assess their need for such a device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader

There is no need to close this thread. This has been an informative discussion that has brought up some very interesting points. Just because you don't like the responses doesn't mean we will close it.

Moving forward...

Sent using the Tapatalk app!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

Trying not to violate the "be polite" mandate...

You posted something that, to be blunt, was out and out wrong. You then asked the staff to close the thread because there were numerous post pointing out how flawed this line of thinking is. You appear to be a new medic/almost medic. At this point in your likely to be wrong ALOT. If people tell you your wrong (especially multiple people) you would be much better served at this point in your career by examining your own thought process and how it may be flawed.

You will encounter many patients that don't require an OPA. I haven't used an OPA in >6 months, as I can place a King airway as quickly as I can place an OPA, and the King is kinda like a "SuperOPA". In that same time period I have used a great many NPAs. Often on unconscious patients. Airway management often doesn't require the most invasive option, it's actually usually better to go with the least.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief

I just finished EMT-B school and do not recall ever being taught that "every patient [I am] bagging requires an OPA".

Anjel

Forum Angel
I just finished EMT-B school and do not recall ever being taught that "every patient [I am] bagging requires an OPA".

Yup just finished too.

And don't remember hearing that. I heard OPA is a very useful tool that is used as an adjunct when needed.

Which I think answers the original question of the thread. OPA or NPA?

Use your best judgment and remember they aren't a fix but can help. And neither will secure an airway completely. So always monitor.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Usually an OPA... If suspected head trauma.... Crack in the skull + O2? = One hell of a shift.

Not really sure what you mean by that exactly