North Carolina Reciprocity - HELP!!!!!

Patterson0817

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
I recently finished up Paramedic school and am studying and waiting to test for National Registry. I want to moved to NC but employers informed me that they can't hire me until I receive reciprocity but the state wants me to gain employment before they'll give me reciprocity. It's like the old predicament "we can't hire you because you have no experience" when you can't gain experience until you get hired. I feel like I am drowning in a sea of confusion. The only way that I can find around this gaining employment first bullcrap is to sign up for an "approved" EMS course. I have been through EMT-B, EMT-I and all Paramedic courses. What courses count as "approved"? Do continuing education courses count? SOMEONE....PLEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!!:blink:

I recently finished up Paramedic school and am studying and waiting to test for National Registry. I want to moved to NC but employers informed me that they can't hire me until I receive reciprocity but the state wants me to gain employment before they'll give me reciprocity. It's like the old predicament "we can't hire you because you have no experience" when you can't gain experience until you get hired. I feel like I am drowning in a sea of confusion. The only way that I can find around this gaining employment first bullcrap is to sign up for an "approved" EMS course. I have been through EMT-B, EMT-I and all Paramedic courses. What courses count as "approved"? Do continuing education courses count? SOMEONE....PLEEEEEEEASE HELP!!!!!:blink:

You could apply with a volunteer organization in the interim, which would give you the Licensed EMS Organization bit, and complete the reciprocity packet.

Where in NC are you looking?

I have been corresponding via email with a woman who works specifically with reciprocity and she is no help at all; all responses are short sentences with no substance in the answers. I talked with the head honcho at Forsyth for 2 hrs one day and he said I could test and all but that I couldn't be hired until I gained reciprocity. But the lady in Raleigh is telling me I can't get reciprocity until someone hires me. And I applied at Piedmont Triad and received the same response as from Forsyth County

I have been corresponding via email with a woman who works specifically with reciprocity and she is no help at all; all responses are short sentences with no substance in the answers. I talked with the head honcho at Forsyth for 2 hrs one day and he said I could test and all but that I couldn't be hired until I gained reciprocity. But the lady in Raleigh is telling me I can't get reciprocity until someone hires me. And I applied at Piedmont Triad and received the same response as from Forsyth County

I'm not sure why it is difficult in that area, the fire department I work for brings on volunteers with out-of-State credentials without any problem (alas we're nowhere near Winston-Salem).

Have you tried getting a conditional job offer and using that as proof of employment? You know a letter starting from the department "We'll hire you, if you get your reciprocity in a month" our something along those lines

I ran into this self same thing looking to relocate there. I finally decided to not move although I love the state.

States with this type of requirement are difficult to deal with but there are worse. You'd think they'd want providers coming to the state!!

Back