noob question

endocrinology

Forum Ride Along
if you a (emt-b) and a RN arrives on the scene both off duty and helping the pt, who is in-charge the nurse or emt-b?

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
if you a (emt-b) and a RN arrives on the scene both off duty and helping the pt, who is in-charge the nurse or emt-b?

#1: who cares. It doesn't matter. Treat the patient.

#2: if it is in your jurisdiction and you have authority to respond when you're not working as if you were working, then you are part of the authority having jurisdiction, and your medical director is in charge, and you are fulfilling the medical director's treatment plan by proxy, via protocols.

#3: depends on the type of nurse. But, an emergency room nurse in a busy system, or a flight nurse...shut your mouth, do what your told and learn something.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Treat the patient. Don't let your ego get in the way.

I've administered CPR 3 times as a lay responder and managed a seizure until EMS showed up at the coffee shop, and now has ever known my name or level of certification. I don't need the glory and definitely don't want the extra attention.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Mask man.jpg
no one has ever known my name or level of certification. I don't need the glory and definitely don't want the extra attention.

Clf77

Forum Ride Along
Had this happen on an ejection on the highway.... Me when I was a basic and an ER nurse from a big trauma center in my area we worked great together respected our skill levels and most importantly managed the PT well until 911 got there..... we just clicked and did what was best for the PT...

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Had this happen on an ejection on the highway.... Me when I was a basic and an ER nurse from a big trauma center in my area we worked great together respected our skill levels and most importantly managed the PT well until 911 got there..... we just clicked and did what was best for the PT...

Did you guys get married too?

OP
OP
E

endocrinology

Forum Ride Along
that's good!
:)

jwk

Forum Captain
Might have told this before - but years ago I was walking back from a college football game. An elderly lady had collapsed outside The Varsity (those of you in Atlanta will know exactly where this is). CPR was started by a couple of ER nurses walking by. A medic who had been stationed at the game and had his jump bag with him strolled up. I was there, and a couple of docs. Patient got an IV and was intubated using stuff from the medics jump bag. About that time, Grady EMS and Atlanta Fire rolled up and have this WTF look on their faces and are wondering "who are all these people???" Not a single person said anything about being in charge or let their egos get in the way. We just did what we knew needed to be done and let the medics do their thing when they got there.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In 18 years of EMS, I've intervened off-duty just two times.

The second time was just a few years ago. I pulled a guy out of his overturned truck because his airway was obstructed because he was as drunk as they come and his entire bodyweight was on his head with his chin buried into his sternum.

So I'm in the grass on the side of the interstate waiting for EMS to arrive, covered in this guys blood, with him positioned in the sidelying (recovery) position, holding his cervical spine as neutral as I could, along with a jaw thrust because otherwise he was obstructing.

Some woman stops her car and walks up to me.

Her: What are you doing?

Me: Trying to keep this guy breathing until EMS arrives.

Her: Shouldn't he be flat on his back?

Me: Sure, if you want him to stop breathing.

Her: What are your qualifications?

Me: Who's asking?

Her: I'm a registered nurse.

Me (shaking my head visibly, and thinking to myself "well of course you are. that completely explains your idiocy"): So am I.

Her: What kind of nurse are you?

Me: I'm a flight nurse and paramedic of 12 years. Also years of ICU experience. I literally do this kind of thing for a living. What kind of nurse are you?

Her: I work at the hospital. (she turns around and walks off, doesn't even ask if I need help).

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
In 18 years of EMS, I've intervened off-duty just two times.

The second time was just a few years ago. I pulled a guy out of his overturned truck because his airway was obstructed because he was as drunk as they come and his entire bodyweight was on his head with his chin buried into his sternum.

So I'm in the grass on the side of the interstate waiting for EMS to arrive, covered in this guys blood, with him positioned in the sidelying (recovery) position, holding his cervical spine as neutral as I could, along with a jaw thrust because otherwise he was obstructing.

Some woman stops her car and walks up to me.

Her: What are you doing?

Me: Trying to keep this guy breathing until EMS arrives.

Her: Shouldn't he be flat on his back?

Me: Sure, if you want him to stop breathing.

Her: What are your qualifications?

Me: Who's asking?

Her: I'm a registered nurse.

Me (shaking my head visibly, and thinking to myself "well of course you are. that completely explains your idiocy"): So am I.

Her: What kind of nurse are you?

Me: I'm a flight nurse and paramedic of 12 years. Also years of ICU experience. I literally do this kind of thing for a living. What kind of nurse are you?

Her: I work at the hospital. (she turns around and walks off, doesn't even ask if I need help).

People tryna run stuff. Smh

OC mom

Forum Ride Along

My knee jerk reaction is to defer to the nurse, BUT after running codes with many of them, I'd now say "it depends." Some nurses take charge and stay calm and focused. Other nurses fall apart during emergencies and prefer to be led. It's more for a case by case thing for me.