No Jobs for EMT-B?

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I am having a difficult time finding a position as an EMT-B. I am in central IL, I received my basic license in Dec. 03. I have a position with a volunteer fire department, and am looking into volunteer positions with both ESDA and the Red Cross. I have had applications in at four area hospitals for months, and reapply as jobs are posted. I recently recertified in CPR/AED, and am actively participating in CE's, and can do ride alongs any time I want with one of the local ambulance services. Is it because I am newly certified that no one has interest in me? Can anyone offer advice regarding career searches? I would appreciate any guidance on this matter. Thank you.

snoslicer8

Forum Ride Along
I was newly certified as well, and I finally, after about 6-7 months, landed myself a job. If you have a branch of AMR (American Medical Response, a private ambulance company), I would try applying with them. They offered me a position at the same time that Baptist Hospital did. The hospital, however, didn't come around on my application for about 4 months...it took a lot of calling back the head nurse recruiter for the ED and bugging her. You really just need to keep at it, and don't give the prospective employers a chance to possibly forget about you. Keep calling them, keep reminding them that you are there, ready to be hired. They like perseverence. =)

-Brady

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Both ambulance services in my community are affiliated with hospitals, no private services. I keep bugging the bejeebers out of the HR folks, I think they are sick of me!

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
SImple fact: there are hundreds of EMT-Bs competing for the same jobs you are. Unless yyou know someone, or have some other special training, getting a job is tough.
1st - get you name out there, dont lose hope. NETWORK NETWORK NET WORK. Help out with classes, etc. This is especially true in the hospitals, as they tend to have active education programs for their staffs. It may just involve you being a dummy of a BTLS course or something. At least try to take classes at the hospitals that have the ambulances, as you will be able to do a little networking on the side.
2nd STRONGLY consider upgrading your certification. There are just so many EMT-Bs, and the pay sucks to be a full time job. Higher cert means (relatively) better pay, less (but no less aggressive) compition. It wont mean more respect, that you have to earn.
3rd- Take every extra class you can, including nationaly recognized courses like BTLS. Even consider auditing an ACLS course. Thsi shows you are stepping up and moving up....just be sure you keep you mouth closed, study hard , and listen in these courses. If you come off like a Mr. Junior Rescue..that is how you will be remembered long after youve become a profesional in your own right, so remember impressions are everything. Do stuff to make you stand apart from the rest of the Jr Ricky rescues out there..improve your education, be well spoken, and buff up your resume.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
MariaCatEMT

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
1st - get you name out there, dont lose hope. NETWORK NETWORK NET WORK.
2nd STRONGLY consider upgrading your certification.
3rd- Take every extra class you can, including nationaly recognized courses like BTLS.

I am networking, I think! I volunteer as an EMT at a local vollie fire department, and have put out inquiries with the Red Cross and Esda. I can do ride-alongs with one of the ambulance (hospital based) whenever I want. I have applications out at 4 area hospitals, and continue to follow-up on them.

Per your advice, I just contacted PREMSS, and asked about the next upcoming intermediate (EMT-I) course.

I am working on CE's, and have taken GEMS, will be taking PEPP and Critical Skills, and just recertified in CPR/AED (even though my current health provider CPR was less than a year old), and will take BTLS as soon as it is offered in my area.

Good thing I'm stubborn.

Thanks for the great advice and encouragement. I do appreciate it a lot!

Tigar

Forum Probie
My best suggestion for anyone as a new EMT of any license is: make contacts with the individuals at you local service(s)/hospital(s). Try to get on the rig by doing Third Rides or shadowing. See if you can do shadowing with the ER staff (like ER clinicals). Yes, this is a great deal of free labor. But you are also showing these people that you are will to learn and commit the time and dedication just to get a foot in the door. Clinicals are nice to make contacts. But honestly, how many hours were you there? Try the Third Rides because now you are past the first fears/nerves of you EMT clinicals (Which WE all have been through). And lastly, do keep up with your education by trying to enroll into their Inhouse education classes.

Good Luck
Tigar, CCEMT-P

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Tigar@Aug 5 2004, 03:49 AM
My best suggestion for anyone as a new EMT of any license is: make contacts with the individuals at you local service(s)/hospital(s). Try to get on the rig by doing Third Rides or shadowing. See if you can do shadowing with the ER staff (like ER clinicals). Yes, this is a great deal of free labor. But you are also showing these people that you are will to learn and commit the time and dedication just to get a foot in the door. Clinicals are nice to make contacts. But honestly, how many hours were you there? Try the Third Rides because now you are past the first fears/nerves of you EMT clinicals (Which WE all have been through). And lastly, do keep up with your education by trying to enroll into their Inhouse education classes.

Good Luck
Tigar, CCEMT-P
Tigar,

Welcome to the forum! I think that's some of the best advice I've seen. Id have to agree with everything said.

Again, welcome to the forum, and I hope you continue to post!