NJ to Cali

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
i was wondering of someone has some answers for me. I am living in NJ and have been wanting to move to California for years and I finally am doing that this summer. I am wondering what I need to do to transfer from NJ to there. Whats different out there than here in NJ. I am a NJ state cert emt-b. would it be good of me to just take the national reg test before I go ?

any and all info you might have would be great,. Thanks

terrible one

Always wandering
I hope you have a job lined up because there is nothing in SoCal as far as EMS jobs.
Good Luck with the move

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Calfornia's a country. Talk to people where you are moving to.

There are MANY Californians "here" at EMTLIFE.

Angel

Paramedic
jobs are really hard to find and as far as i know youll need the NREMT to get your county cert since the practical portion is done in school.

jmunar

Forum Probie
Good Luck with job hunting and you might also have to take an extra training class expand your scope of practice, depends on the county you move to.

Nelg

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking at doing the same this summer for various reasons. Been doing some research on places, and just planed on doing what I can to get my name out there among potential employers.

Just ready to get started. There isn't much importunity to advance and learn in the rice fields of Viet-... err, Arkansas...

Tonester

Forum Probie
I live in southern California. I completed my EMT-B course in December 2009 and was nationally certified in the same month. I've had a total of 2 job interviews with reputable ambulance companies (IFT and 911). The hiring pool is very large and the number of actual job openings is very low. i.e. with the IFT company there was 84 candidates but only 12-14 slots available.

I went back to school this spring and I am almost done with my PC 832 peace officer training. I'll probably end doing code enforcement or community officer assistant work before I get an ambo job :blink:

I definitely recommend lining up a job before moving out here or plan on doing another line of work until an EMS gig comes along. California is just as expenisve to live in as NJ is too :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Where in cali?

atropine

Forum Captain
Goodluck with only an emt-b cert, but your a girl so you might get the fast pass for LA City Fire.:ph34r: