NJ/NY reciprocity EMT

mike111

Forum Ride Along
So I got my NJ cert (EMT-B) in 2016 but I go to school and ride in NYC. I got for reciprocity to NYS and have been riding there ever since (in New York City). Currently, I am refreshing my NYS cert, but my NJ one expires in November, so I'll need to update that certification as well. I wish to be able to ride with a rescue squad (in NJ)-they want to make sure my certification will not expire. NJ requires CEUs, but NY does not and since I have been living in NY for the past few years going to school, I have not taken any CEUs. Will my recert class that I am currently taking in NY be able to be transferred to NJ or will I have to get reciprocity back to NJ with their process? Sorry if that was confusing. Basically I have two state certifications. Will refreshing one help at all to refresh the other or will I have to refresh them separately?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Unless the rules have changed over the past few years, you should be able to ride in NJ with a NYS EMT cert. But that might have changed in recent years.

Once you reciprocity to NYS, you can't do it again, so if your NYS one expires, you are SOL if you want to get it again, unless you are willing to go through the course again.

You have two separate state certifications: congrats, now you need to keep them both up, and complete the requirements for them both.

for NJ, you likely will need to take an ABC refresher, which is only offered in NJ. Your NYS continuing education can't be used in place of it.

However, you should really contact an authoritative source, so should you have any questions or concerns, please contact NJ-OEMS at (609) 633-7777. Ask for Bonnie, she's awesome.

OP
OP
M

mike111

Forum Ride Along
Unless the rules have changed over the past few years, you should be able to ride in NJ with a NYS EMT cert. But that might have changed in recent years.

Once you reciprocity to NYS, you can't do it again, so if your NYS one expires, you are SOL if you want to get it again, unless you are willing to go through the course again.

You have two separate state certifications: congrats, now you need to keep them both up, and complete the requirements for them both.

for NJ, you likely will need to take an ABC refresher, which is only offered in NJ. Your NYS continuing education can't be used in place of it.

However, you should really contact an authoritative source, so should you have any questions or concerns, please contact NJ-OEMS at (609) 633-7777. Ask for Bonnie, she's awesome.
thank you so much, that actually helped. im probably just going to contact the state (NJ OEMS) to confirm, appreciate the help again!