NJ Course Schedule/Curriculum

njSpade

Forum Ride Along
This is my first post here, so hello to all. I've always had an interest in EMS and am finally at a point where I have some time to get my basic cert, so I've been volunteering with my local squad (a volly night/weekend op) and am looking to get in on the next basic course in north jersey.

The leadership here is very helpful if locating classes, etc, but I figured I would do some of my own research as well (they're all busy with their lives, paid jobs). Most of the classes I've found start in January w/the new curriculum, about 220 hours if I understand correctly. Does anybody have any insight on the new curriculum? I've devoured two EMT-B textbooks just to have a head start on the class and tests (also helps out so I know whats going on when we're on a call, better learning) and can't imagine the material would change too much, probably more the teaching style? The extra hours are significant, but I don't mind that a whole lot assuming that it is a more comprehensive course.

Thanks if you read through that, any insight is greatly appreciated.

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Hi! Good luck! It is going to be 220 hr now? I took my EMT-B class in NJ in 2004. The class I took was like 160 hr thru MONOC. The certifications are now valid for 5 years which is really convenient. njoemscert.com alows you to login (after you finish the class for CEU or current EMT you know) to find different EMT and CEU classes. What part of NJ are you in?

OP
OP
N

njSpade

Forum Ride Along
The information I've been getting has been that it will be significantly more hours, from 120 to like 200ish. Looking at the class schedules, it seems to add up to that. I'm in the Essex/Bergen region. I go to school full time undergrad, so it might get to be a little much around finals, but the night class schedule should make it doable. As of now I only plan to work volly BLS service as a side interest, not an EMS career. Pumped to start classes, only partially bummed that it will probably interfere with skiing this winter:rolleyes:

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I just heard like 240 hours and the refresher class will be different as well. The instructor I spoke to has no clue what the changes are though.

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
I just spoke to a different EMT instructor who told me that as of January EMT-B in NJ will be able to give aspirin to cardiac patients. I am going to check more into it, but he showed me official looking forms saying it was the NJ treatment protocols as of the new year. He also mentioned CPAP with the new class, and not sure how any transition classes will be run or refreshers?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Yes, NJ will be moving to the new National Standard Curriculum as of January 1. This means an increase in the number of instructional contact hours. Aspirin for suspected cardiac chest pain, patient controlled ventilators, and some other new items will be added to the curriculum, though when and if those skills will be permitted by the State remains to be seen, as the new regulations have not yet been proposed or promulgated. I've also heard that inhaled beta agonists and other nebulized medications might be forthcoming, as well as advanced airway adjuncts like the King or Combitube. I will believe it when I see it.

Also, the 'Core 13' refresher will be eliminated as of January 1, and is being replaced with a new series of re-certification classes. The e-mail I received from the state (well, that all EMTs received, I'm not special) says that it will go live in February, and there will be sufficient time for EMTs renewing in June to finish their core credits under the new system. The credit requirements (24 core, 24 elective) remain at the same, laughably low level, but that's a discussion for a different time.

The 5-year re-certification cycle is only temporary. OEMS plans to return to a 3-year cycle after the current cycle ends.

jedi88

Forum Crew Member
Yeah I know how you feel. Until I see some sort of official documentation I don't believe it. I doubt the new refresher class will be ready for June but luckily I took care of my refresher this year when I got the new 5 yr one so I am set for awhile.