Nims

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
So it's not like I already don't have enough going on with EMS class, studying, and normal life stuff. Looks like you have to take the National Incident Management System test prior to sitting for the EMT Registry test. I read over the online document for it. Looks fairly complicated to impliment if there were a true diasaster that you would need to manage.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That must be a local requirement, not NREMT's itself. The course is only four hours long and basically is the standard ICS command system. No big deal.. command center delegating tasks, and making sure there is properly communications,

R/r 911

OP
OP
Fire219man

Fire219man

Forum Crew Member
hmmm, interesting....I was told that to sit for the NREMT test, that I needed take it. No problem....I will do as I am told....haha....

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
NIMS is an easy certification. It can all be done online. I hadn't heard about it being part of NREMT but I know a department needs NIMS certified members in order to be eligible for FEMA grant funds through the Fire Act.

HorseHauler

Forum Lieutenant
Yea I had to take the nims 100 and 700 on the internet. You just print off your certificate when your finished with the test. hmmm those test answers MIGHT just be sitting in the 3rd drawer to the right of me :ph34r:

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
hmmm, interesting....I was told that to sit for the NREMT test, that I needed take it. No problem....I will do as I am told....haha....

Perhaps you need to take it as a qualification for the agency sponsoring the test?

Epi-do

I see dead people
Ugh! I hate sitting through those classes. So far, I have some how managed to stay awake through 100, 200, 300, 700, and 800. Hopefully we are done with it for a while at work.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
To my knowledge it is not a requirement of NREMT, but I have my students take it while in class as well... because when they go out and look for a job as an EMT, it's one more thing that they can tell their employer that they have.

Jo

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
nims updates ics in the sense of federalizing us all.

the dif is, they sold us ics on the premis that scene mitigation, no matter how small, has a choreographed order, which was quite agreeable imho..

nims reinvents that wheel for us all to be the feds tool for the next Katrina, complete with VTAC channels, and possible exclusion of grants if you don't play the game

no biggie, once you get past the Orwellian bent imparted....

~S~

firemedic1563

Forum Probie
Actually, while NIMS is a federal requirement, its usage is needed. In an area such as ours, we work constantly with other departments. We have a large city adjacent, the state capital city which shares our radio system, a few large counties that routinely run mutual aide, a federal fire department and a military fire and ems department, and an international airport department. Any one of them could have a disaster of a huge scalee that we would be a large part of the initial response to. And until just a few years ago, many of us could not communicate with each other and everyone had different ICS structures.

We are pretty anal about implementing NIMS command structure on most incidents, but when the next big disaster hits, we will be able to effectively communicate with those departments.

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
but when the next big disaster hits, we will be able to effectively communicate with those departments.

true firemedic,
and perhaps the nitwits at the federal helm can now hear how screwed the first on that scene just might be

~S~