samanthaa94

Forum Probie
Hi to all of you. Im currently a newbie just graduated from my emt-b class.
Have a wierd question...

Has anyone ever graduated from the class and then rethought about wanting to do this career? Im not sure if im just too interested in my next step or just worried about actually starting, who my partners will be, if i will always know what to do, etc...
(Btw medical field is nothing new i work currently in a doctors office.)

Just a thought . wondering if the feelings normal. Would love to hear from anyone . especially any newbies who just started working

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
After almost three years in the field I question if I know what I'm doing. Those that don't are the dangerous ones.

Good luck!

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
It seems like no matter what you do you're always looking for something better, even if you 'love' what you do. Even in this field, you're always looking for the better gig, more pay, more to do, whatever.

That being said, we are all here with a general interest in what we do and how we do it. If you legitimately have no interest in EMS, then sure, why not move on and find something that you will actually like to do. If you have any interest at all in EMS, might as well give it a shot, the rest of us on here did and I for one have not regretted it yet... too badly anyway!!

ABQmedic

All bleeding stops...eventually
I first questioned my career choice just after delivering a "cooked" (house fire) 8 month old to the local ER. I had been an EMT-B for 3 months. It's been 22 years now, and I have occasionally asked myself the same question. Now I have delivered multiple babies, and maybe even saved a life or two during those years as well. The point is, you will have good and bad in any job. As long as you wake up in the morning and don't dread going to work, you should be ok.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I've worked for multiple training houses, at them, I've seen countless brand new basics come in with a variety of attitudes ranging from "I only took the class because it fulfilled an elective requirement, and now I need a study job while I finish college in something else." to "I'm god's gift to EMS, and this is my life's true work."

What I've come to learn is that the starting attitude almost doesn't matter to how the person does and enjoys EMS. I can generally tell within about 3 shifts of working with them whether the person is going to drop out, be a lifer or do it for a few years then move on to something else. (Generally, it takes the person themselves about 6 months to figure that out.)

I firmly believe that there is absolutely no way to really know whether this is the career for you except to do it. School can't teach you that, talking to EMTs can't teach that and the popular perception of what it's like certainly can't teach you that. You gotta get out there and do it.

The way I describe EMS to anyone who asks about it is "I'ts a terrible awful no-good very bad job, but if you're the right kind of crazy, it's the best job in the world.". Find out if you're the right kind of crazy. In the end, if it's not right for you, it's not right for you. That's okay, you wouldn't be alone.

PS: That quote about taking the class for elective credit? That was me, 9 years and 2 license levels ago.

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
EMS isn't for everyone, especially if you're trying to do it professionally. Sometimes you have to take a class to realize you're not interested in something. There's no shame in taking EMT and then moving on to something else.

kristenpeace

Forum Ride Along
I am about a month in to my first job in EMS. I went into it with an open mind...I have one more pre-req before I can apply to nursing school, but I am open to staying with this career too. I figure I will give it a year and decide whether or not I am going to pursue nursing or stay in this field. just give it a try and see how you feel about it, there are always other options, or you may just love it.

rugbyguy

Forum Crew Member
I'd say about 80% of the kids in my class don't work with there EMT, and out of those of us who went on to paramedic, only 5 are really going to work in the field. It's a job that sounds cool, but take alot of work to actually get into.

lissa304

Forum Probie
Hi to all of you. Im currently a newbie just graduated from my emt-b class.
Have a wierd question...

Has anyone ever graduated from the class and then rethought about wanting to do this career? Im not sure if im just too interested in my next step or just worried about actually starting, who my partners will be, if i will always know what to do, etc...
(Btw medical field is nothing new i work currently in a doctors office.)

Just a thought . wondering if the feelings normal. Would love to hear from anyone . especially any newbies who just started working

Hey!

I think that is a pretty normal response honestly. I finished my class last summer and had a little panic attack after wards for the same reasons as you. But oddly actually going out and working in the field for a few months was all I needed for reassurance!! Just give it a go. Worst that can happen is you do decide its not for you, in which case, you can always go back to school/get a different job! Nothing is permanent!

OP
OP
S

samanthaa94

Forum Probie
Thank you soo much to all of you thats exactly what I needed. Being an EMT is definitely something I want to pursue whether its only for the time being or my career . If I havent mentioned it, Im only 19 . just a lot of thoughts going through my head for the next step. Just needed to know I wasnt crazy i guess for being nervous to start. i really appreciate everyones response gives me a lot more reassurance :)