newbe looking for the edge

wanttobeaemt

Forum Ride Along
Reaction score
new emt-b in mississippi past the nremt exam about a month ago. hard to find a job right now, but i was just wondering what other certs. I could get to help me get a job. Not a lot of jobs out there so alot of folk r after them. looking for the edge to get the job..

new emt-b in mississippi past the nremt exam about a month ago. hard to find a job right now, but i was just wondering what other certs. I could get to help me get a job. Not a lot of jobs out there so alot of folk r after them. looking for the edge to get the job..

Become a paramedic.

would like to get my feet wet in the EMS setting for about a year before i go and get my paramedic

I don't have any extra certs and I landed a job at Wayne General Hospital in Waynesboro. I've also been NREMT since August so I'm still new too. You just gotta keep plugging away and hoping you land something. Are you open to moving?

The edge? Be patient, commute, or move. If you can't get an EMS job in Pontotoc County at the moment, then you'll either have to wait and/or have to commute: Tupelo, Oxford, New Albany, Houston, Water Valley, even as far as Booneville or Calhoun City. Some services do 12hr shifts, some 24's. That's if you're not willing to move. The further you commute, the more practical 24 hr shifts will be over 12's.

Good luck, bro.

would like to get my feet wet in the EMS setting for about a year before i go and get my paramedic

Good for you!
You need to crawl before you walk and walk before you fly.
A year on the road will give you a those skills you'll never find in the classroom setting.
I know a heap of people will disagree with me, having said this.
Because there are a lot of EMT's in the States that go straight into their Paramedic program from EMT-B.
Here it is standard practice you work on the trucks, even if you do skip the crawling and fly first.
Unless you get on road experience...the services here will not let you practice at a paramedic level.
I hope you find a job very soon!:)
The only other thing I can suggest, is pick up your books and study notes every now and then. So the course stays fresh in your head.

Cheers Enjoynz

"The edge" won't be found in a bunch of weekend certificates that are designed to augment (not replace) knowledge and experience.

You guys have a ton of acronyms that just make my brain melt: ACLS, PALS, NIMS/CIMS, ATLS, AMLS, ADLS, ABLS, PHTLS, ITLS, WMD etc etc ... we have none of those as everything here is built into our Clinical Procedures and educational programs.

I strongly suggest you roll up to the local college nursing faculty and take anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, research methods/statistics and maybe a little biology or English communication.

The company im about to get on with doesnt require extra cards but they would like BTLS or ITLS, and PEPP.

Maybe you can take a grammar & spelling class at your local middle school :P

All kidding aside, local community colleges offer you a lot of courses that will benefit you in the field. I bold that statement because although they may not brighten your resume, they will certainly improve your pre-hospital care. Courses like Anatomy & Physiology, Pharmacology, Medical Terminology, and other Pre-Med courses will do wonders for your ability to diagnose, treat and communicate in a pre-hospital or even hospital setting (If you decide to go the ER Tech route).

There are also certain "Weekend Classes" you can take just to say you've taken them -
- ACLS
- ECG & Pharmacology
- Phlebotomy
- IV Therapy
- Expanded Scope
- Paramedic Prep

As an EMT, these weekend classes will teach you how to do things that you can't do yet. Similar to the college courses I mentioned above, they will help you benefit you in the field, usually in assisting with ALS procedures.

Other than that, the best edge you can have is to be professional and determined.

Back