New York State EMT Written Exam

shylieen78

Forum Ride Along
What is the best book to purchase to study for the state EMT Exam for New York????

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Textbook and state protocols. NYS exam is straightforward, at least, when I last took it in 2014.
There’s a Kaplan book or two out there but your textbook and class notes should suffice.

OP
OP
shylieen78

shylieen78

Forum Ride Along
Textbook and state protocols. NYS exam is straightforward, at least, when I last took it in 2014.
There’s a Kaplan book or two out there but your textbook and class notes should suffice.
How many questions are in the test? Is it difficult ??

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief

Historically it was 100 or so, and no, not really.
Not sure how many it is now. NREMT is computer adaptive and 70-120 depending on your performance. Not sure what NYS is doing these days.

OP
OP
shylieen78

shylieen78

Forum Ride Along
Historically it was 100 or so, and no, not really.
Not sure how many it is now. NREMT is computer adaptive and 70-120 depending on your performance. Not sure what NYS is doing these days.
Very helpful, Thank You !

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Your CIC should be able to give you the latest info. I’d suggest that NREMT aligned content should largely work - though knowledge of NYS protocols is also important.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
The NYS test is 110 questions, 10 of those are pilot questions that do not count. They may be used on a future test.

The level of difficulty is not bad, if you put your time in. The first time you take it, you may be slightly intimidated, but like anything else, the first time is the hardest, then you know what to expect and it is easier each time you take it. The NYS written test is also easier than the N.R. written test and NYS uses the N.R. skill sign off sheets, so the practical is the same.

Best of luck.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
If you pass a course final exam, you should do well on the NYS test. Class exams are designed to prepare you and tend to be more difficult than the state. Always be ready for wonky state question wording though.