New & would appreciate any direction!

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
My name is Vince and I live in Modesto, CA and will begin my EMT training at the end of this month. I was hoping someone could provide some direction as to properly begin study habits for this course. I am assuming that the medical terminology will be a mainstay for final exams and or tests. Any best practices would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time.

kind regards

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
Welcome!

My name is Vince and I live in Modesto, CA and will begin my EMT training at the end of this month. I was hoping someone could provide some direction as to properly begin study habits for this course. I am assuming that the medical terminology will be a mainstay for final exams and or tests. Any best practices would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time.

kind regards

Everybody learns differently. Some like to think about things and some learn by doing. Here are some general suggestion and I'm sure other will add on:

1) be sure to read the chapters BEFORE the lecture. That way you can identify items that need clarification before the class.

2) I always was a fan of the workbooks that accompany the textbook. There are extra activities and self tests.

3) Consider forming a study group. Nothing like some lively discussion to get the thought process moving.

4) Don't contest every question you miss on the tests. Instead, try to understand why the correct answer is the correct answer.

I'm sure there is more. It has been so long for me! ;-D

Good Luck!

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
1. Read, read, read, read, read, and read.
2. Do the workbooks.
3. Trust your instincts... they're there for a reason.
4. If your local service has a ride-along program, do it. Find a mentor, somebody who's very knowledgeable and likes to teach. Every mentor had a mentor at one point.
5. Get a good night's sleep before tests.
6. YOUR SAFETY ALWAYS COMES FIRST.
7. When it comes to patient care, AIRWAY ALWAYS COMES FIRST. If you don't forget about your ABCs, you can't go wrong.
8. When you get to the physical assessment portion, remember... head-to-toe is best. It prevents you from skipping a step or a section of the patient's body. EVERY PATIENT DESERVES A FULL ASSESSMENT.
9. Go to paramedic school while the material is fresh in your head.
10. Have fun!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Use search feature and you will find many ideas in many posts on this very subject.

OP
OP
Vinceh

Vinceh

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for the immediate input! I will be sure to pay it forward when I have the opportunity. I reside in the Central Valley of California, and if any of you know or could reccomend a department or someone I can seek out for mentorship that would be incredible. I will be sure to take advantage of ride-alongs.

Kind regards-

Vince Hurtado

NWParamedic

Forum Crew Member
Thank you all for the immediate input! I will be sure to pay it forward when I have the opportunity. I reside in the Central Valley of California, and if any of you know or could reccomend a department or someone I can seek out for mentorship that would be incredible. I will be sure to take advantage of ride-alongs.

Kind regards-

Vince Hurtado
Find my cousin Rod Brouhard at AMR-Modesto. Request him for a ride-along if they still alow ride alongs and tell him I sent you Bryan Brouhard. He has been a paramedic for 20 years, used to be EMS program director at MJC/Modesto Community College and writes the first aid forum for about.com, he is very knowledgable and can give you some direction. Check him out on www.about.com under first aid in the health section of the site.

Addicted2Narcan

Forum Probie
Honestly, if you have to study really hard for EMT-basic, I would reconsider your career choices. It's mostly common sense. Ride along for sure though. You'll benefit way more from developing a good sense of clinical reasoning than you will from reading the fine print in the logistics chapter of an EMT-basic textbook. The hard part is when you get to medic school...and you'll be much more successful if you can think clinically and do it well.