New user: Teachers Assistant / Paramedic forced to cover school nurse??

TheRealScott

Forum Ride Along
Hello! I'm a teacher's assistant and paramedic. I travel around the school district and work at whatever schools need me on that day.
Recently, at one of my schools, they've been having me short term cover for the school nurse. It's only usually 20-30 minutes, but I really don't want it to become a habit for them if it is / could be a legal issue on my behalf.
Opinions?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not qualified to give you a legal opinion, but as an EMS provider, I wouldn't accept any preplanned medical responsibilities in the workplace without a supervising MD.

Summit

Critical Crazy
School districts are SUPER sketchy about this crap in order to save a dime out of ignorance. Just hop over to the allnurses.com school nursing subforum for horror stories galore.

If you are covering EMR level emergency response, that's probably fine, call parents/911 liberally (school nurses often do, they aren't expected to dispo much). If they expect you to admin/hand out meds... protect your cert!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Hello! I'm a teacher's assistant and paramedic. I travel around the school district and work at whatever schools need me on that day.
Recently, at one of my schools, they've been having me short term cover for the school nurse. It's only usually 20-30 minutes, but I really don't want it to become a habit for them if it is / could be a legal issue on my behalf.
Opinions?
Hey @TheRealScott, welcome to EMTLIFE!

I agree with @Summit. Be careful with the services you provide. Stick with EMR/First Aid. I wouldn't provide any EMT level services unless there are protocols, approved by an MD/DO, and you're allowed and directed to follow them.

Let me also take a moment and point out something small but important. Our members can provide points-of-view and advice other than legal advice. This is per our rules. (See No Legal Advice section)

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I get your concern about not making it a habit but I do not see a problem with covering for 30 mine while the school nurse is at lunch or something. At least you are there to provide EMR level stuff if the need arises. Most of the other stuff can wait until the nurse is back.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
question: do other people cover the nurse, or just you because you're a medic?