New User,interested in learning!

LifeAlert101

Forum Probie
Hey everyone from the looks of it the majority of the users are quite friendly and I think this would be a great platform for me to receive extra help. I'm only 16 years old and I recently enrolled in a EMT Training Class. With that being said here is a little about me.
Favorite Sport: Tennis
Favorite Color: Blue
Long Term Goals: To become either an Emergency Room Physician or a Trauma Surgeon.
Short Term Goals: Get my EMT-B Certification from the state of Connecticut and to kick *** on the SAT's.

What I want to know from the community is what made you interested in the health field?

See you all around,
LA101

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What is your favorite food?

Jason

Medic
What I want to know from the community is what made you interested in the health field?
I started when I was 17y/o, volunteer EMS. My parents got me into it as they said "it'll look good on your transcript, to have volunteer experience". I initially wasn't too sure about it all ... teenager and volunteer? That didn't get me any money. But i fell in love with the chaos and excitement that is EMS. I think the plan backfired a little from my parents side, as I wanted to ride squad several times a week.
I have been a volunteer most of my EMS career, with some paid work. I work full time in the hospital. I've been a paramedic for the last 11 yrs.
Best of Luck to you. I'd say most people know within their first year if EMS or Medicine is for them.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I'd say Chicken Parmesan. What about you?
Gonna be tough finding that in a drive through when you're working 72 hours per week on the road.

OP
OP
LifeAlert101

LifeAlert101

Forum Probie
Gonna be tough finding that in a drive through when you're working 72 hours per week on the road.
From what I've been reading being a 16 year old the labor laws won't approve of that. Also will I be able to get my certification? I talked to the instructor and he said I was able to participate in the training hasn't mentioned anything about the state approving me.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm fairly positive you have to be 18 to receive NREMT certification.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Just wait till you are 18. That way you won't have to worry about getting your certification. If you have any questions call your local ems office or your state ems office.

OP
OP
LifeAlert101

LifeAlert101

Forum Probie
Just wait till you are 18. That way you won't have to worry about getting your certification. If you have any questions call your local ems office or your state ems office.
I get that and I respect your input,however is there a way I can continue practicing after I finish the training? My grandparents are paying for this training and they want me to take it. Last thing I'd ever want to do is cross them.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I get that and I respect your input,however is there a way I can continue practicing after I finish the training? My grandparents are paying for this training and they want me to take it. Last thing I'd ever want to do is cross them.
No way that anyone will legally hire you or that you can volunteer. In order to do work/volunteer, you need to be a certified EMT. In order to do that, you have to be 18. I suppose you might be able to somewhat utilize your skills as a junior explorer or cadet, but you will not be used in any official capacity, and probably unable to actually treat any patient.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
You could look at volunteering at the local hospital (ER) or becoming a cadet/explorer with the fire department. That will also give you some idea, mildly, of what you're trying to get into. That way, when you turn 18... You'll be better prepared.

Jason

Medic
In VA - if you're 16 - 17, you can get your VA EMT; if you're 18+, you can get your NREMT.
To be an AIC, most or all agencies, volunteer and paid, require you to be at least 18y/o. With that said, there are many under 18y/o EMTs that volunteer and help and assist crews in EMS (not sure about Fire). That first year or two, they gain experience until they are old enough to be precepted and release as an AIC.