New to EMTlife.com

newguy

Forum Probie
Hi guys and gals,

I'm the newguy. I'm new to this site. I'm not EMT yet, but once I get out of Active Duty I'll go to school to get it ASAP. I have completed some Medical courses through the military like...CLS and OEMS, not new to the Medical community.

I joined this site to learn more by asking you guys a bunch of questions.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Welcome to the site!

Stay safe out there.

Eric

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Welcome to the community and thank you for your service,my family and I appreciate all the men and women who serve our great country with pride and honor.

I wish this site had been around when I first started out it would have been of great help in what not to do and I could have avoided making a few bad decisions. We learn from the past and pass what we know down to help those coming in behind us. I really enjoy watching people start their journey into FIRE/EMS and over the years have tried to mentor when I can. Funny thing is I have learned that young people today that show an interest in this field for the most part are much more squared away than they are given credit for. Its a well known fact that returning military make very desirable candidates and on the fire side will be taking alot of the open spots in the future. I have discussed this with many chief officers and the overwhelming consensus is that with their proven ability to work as a part of a team and to perform under pressure in the worst of conditions people like you will move to the front of the line. This is an outstanding opportunity for you and you want to start preparing now because the time will fly,trust me on this one.

My first bit of advice would be to come up with a five year plan and make education your first and foremost priority. You will find some members are really education driven and that's a good thing but some people just need to do things their own way at their own speed. Not all of us are able to jump head on into school and let our other commitments suffer. Take heart I know many outstanding providers both paid and volunteer that have never taken a class above the high school level and somehow have managed to provide competent and most importantly compassionate care to those in need. Getting your EMT, anatomy and physiology and some of the other recommended classes out of the way early is a great start. If your interested in Fire you will want to obtain your degree in fire science. You will also want to learn how to give a good interview,having a great product is of no use if you dont know how to sell it. You will find that when you combine a good education with your military record you will be a very attractive candidate and will be miles above the others.

Stay safe and ask as many questions as you can come up with, you will find someone will find an answer to even the oddest questions and as always remember there are no stupid questions.